I'm doing a shit job advocating for my daughter in school

(3 Posts)
RaniyaF Tue 26-Jan-16 14:29:18

I don't want to weigh down the thread with identifying details - but I'm not sure I'm doing this well.

4 year old non-verbal girl (probably ASD). Beautifully behaved in school (in a very quiet self-contained way) - but meltdowns at home show how much it is costing her.

Head supports me after I threw an epic temper tantrum ; teachers have promised to stop eye-rolling about neurotic mothers communicate with me more constructively and stop freezing me out.

Give me the manifesto for effective advocacy.

RaniyaF Tue 26-Jan-16 14:56:00

Aw - there must be a warm hand to hold out there!

Just off to do pick up - and my nerves are shot to pieces figuring out how much or how little I should be getting involved.

Zanthey Wed 10-Feb-16 18:09:15

Have you considered moving school? I had a poor response to my daughter's special needs. It was exhausting and very demoralising. I moved her to a different school after researching and meeting the headteachers. They really do differ a lot in their response to special needs. Good luck, you're not doing a bad job at all, just dealing with a very challenging situation. Xxxx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now