Expressive Langauge Disorder

(5 Posts)
jillyrg Mon 02-Jun-14 10:54:30

Any advice and knowledge welcome please,

I have been fighting with Speech and Langauge for a year since moving to a new area to get my son assessed and set up with SALT. his last appointment was 3 months ago and last week my follow up was cancelled, i therefor wrote an email to head of department to raise my concerns about the lack of development and progress they are making with my son. I had an excellent responce and now (fingers crossed ) feel I am getting somewhere.

The lady at speech and langauge informed me over the phone that my DS (4) has an expressive Langauge Disorder and is just below average development for his age.

I have deffered my sons entry into primary school so he will be 5 1/2 when he starts, NOTE we live in scotland and this is very normal for children who have birthdays that fall in Jan and Feb.

I have an appointment with SALT on weds for his review and map of how they are going to help my little boy, However, I was just wondering if anyone had any experience of this disorder and how they have helped their child or offer any advice?

thanks

Bilberry Tue 03-Jun-14 00:23:36

Deferring is good. Every secondary school teacher I spoke to said always defer boys as they need the extra year to settle before exams (I know there are exceptions though!!). How old is your ds now?

My ds has expressive language delay and disorder and as far as NHS SALT is concerned we have had very little so I wouldn't raise my hopes too high. Sorry! My advise is to keep on top of them. Polite but firm. Also depending on severity I would speak to the school about support for him. Maybe ask for an assessment by the educational psychologist. If you can afford it, I would recommend private SALT. However, even if you go down the private route, you still need to keep in the NHS system as private carries less weight when asking for help and some sources of help can only be accessed from within the 'system'.

jillyrg Tue 17-Jun-14 22:00:31

The salt referred him to educational psychologist, so he has been assessed by them. The nursery, salt and ed. Psychologist are all working together now.
He is 4 so won't start school until 5 1/2 , yes I agree anyone I've ever spoken to, whether it's teacher or parent said there is no harm in deferring especially at this age where he is none the wiser. The nursery teacher and salt have supported my decision as he is below average.

If anyone has any experience of expressive language disorder or where else to put this post I'd be really grateful, I haven't really been able to find out much about it.

katsud Tue 17-Jun-14 23:53:58

Both of mine have specific language impairment. DS1 has expressive and DS2 has expressive and receptive. Both have other diagnoses. DS2 went to a primary speech and language unit for two years.

SALT seems to be the key if you can access it.

For general info, Wikipedia's description isn't bad and there is a series of videos on youtube that are good: www.youtube.com/user/RALLIcampaign

What would help right now?

jillyrg Wed 18-Jun-14 17:59:19

Ah thank you I would never of thought to look on you tube, :-)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now