Recommend to me your best iPad apps for dd 6 who is struggling to read.

(9 Posts)
moocowmrs Mon 07-Apr-14 22:30:55

Can you recommend your favourite iPad apps for dd 6, who is struggling to read spell etc school have started word wasp, and there is talk of assessments etc but we want to give her all the help we can, she is keen to learn and enthusiastic but struggles.

moocowmrs Tue 08-Apr-14 08:01:57

Bump x

Purplepoodle Mon 14-Apr-14 20:42:47

My kids love pocketphonics. It's very easy to use and even my 2 year old finds it accessible.

Others we have been recommended but not tried are - IWW lite, word magic.

Websites that we have been recommended

www.focusonphonics.co.uk/sound.htm
Cbeebies alpha blocks
Cbeebies get squiggling
storynory.com

anameescapesme Wed 21-May-14 16:29:10

Take a look at all the Nessy based apps - Dyslexia Quest, is very good but there are others in the range. We have found these very good. If you google the dyslexia app wheel it comes up with all the apps available to help struggling readers and writers. Hope this helps.

jamaisjedors Wed 21-May-14 16:31:53

Not an app, and you have to pay for it, but Headsprout early reading programme is great and actually teaches them to read. It has games built into it and both DS loved it (AND it taught them to read in English - we are in France so little other input).

Charlotteamanda1 Sun 25-May-14 08:01:55

Get toe by toe. It's not an app but is fantastic. You will need to do it 5 times a week for 10 mins. You can get it on amazon.

EATmum Sun 25-May-14 08:40:25

Anything that makes it fun - my DD2 is 10 now, and has had a tough time with reading. I hate the fact that she still sees it as a chore, not a pleasure, and worry that we didn't get that balance right. Having said that, Squeebles is a good app for spellings, to reinforce lists from school etc.

Charlotteamanda1 Sun 25-May-14 08:51:56

Toe by toe brakes reading down completely. You have to start at the beginning as you won't realise what they don't know. When I used it with my daughter and son they couldn't read a couple of simple blends which had a knock on with the rest of their reading. As it starts completely achievable you will whip through the first part making them feel good about themselves. My son improved 18 months in 4 months and he could really see the difference. You need to do it religiously to get it in their long term memory.
Good luck.

Tambaboy Mon 26-May-14 19:08:42

Headsprout is absolutely brilliant but is not compatible with iPad, you'll need a computer.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now