Dyslexia, Glue ear, learning to learn.

(9 Posts)
Ned9 Tue 25-Feb-14 10:41:07

My 8 year old son suffered from awful glue ear, which we didn't quite realise for a little while. This has now been sorted. He has since been 'diagnosed' with Dyslexia and is getting support from school. We feel he needs to learn to learn again, if that makes sense, and to learn to listen 'properly'. Does anybody know what kind of private tutor we could employ to help him with this? His dyslexia teacher isn't very reliable, his two teachers in class are job sharers (small school) who work well with the academic children and do not seem to have any real relationship with my little man, or us. He has an LSA (it seems very vague with regard her knowledge of Dyslexia) and a lady that reads with him who we also employ as a homework tutor. His head teachers also reads with him once a week. I have read an article today written by an Australian lady who says that Phonetic learning will never help a dyslexic child, teaching the child what each word means would have far more benefit and make spelling make sense. It actually made sense to me! Anyway, think I am rambling, my husband just wants him out of this school.(we have 3 children, years 1, 2 and 3) I am now thinking that we should employ and pay a brilliant tutor to help him to 'learn' again.. I want nothing more than for my son to be happy, his self esteem to be great and to enjoy learning as much as is possible for him.

heather1 Tue 25-Feb-14 10:49:07

Ned9 your post could be talking about my Ds. I would be very interested about what people say about your post.
I have found trying something non-academic that Ds can be good at helps with self esteem and good friendships help too.
I also emphasise his good points e.g. My Ds is a very loyal friend.
He is lucky to have a good supportive mum like you.

Ned9 Tue 25-Feb-14 11:10:00

Wow exactly the same! He is a great friend, found this bit hard at school, school is very small and football orientated. He cannot and will not play!
But he now plays rugby, loves it! Out of school too, so nice different friends. His has started drumming and has now asked to do drama! Another mum at school has been very supportive, as she has been through similar, minus the glue ear. He is trying so so hard at school to be 'who they want him to be' we just want him to be as happy as he can throughout his school life (it's long!) and hoping if we can get the right support from a tutor who can help him to learn again, then his secondary future looks a little brighter.
Be great if we got some more advice on here hey.. Fingers crossed!
From one mum to another great mum : )

heather1 Tue 25-Feb-14 22:20:36

Hmm it seems it's just us. Maybe if I bump someone will come along.

nennypops Sat 01-Mar-14 18:28:51

There's some discussion about dyslexia and glue ear here: www.beingdyslexic.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=8955

And this could be useful - www.amazon.co.uk/Glue-Ear-essential-teachers-professionals/dp/1843123525

MrsN Sat 01-Mar-14 21:28:20

Ned9; hey! My son had severe glue ear in both ears which severely delayed his speech. It was a long road getting him diagnosed as everyone said he was just lazy and would talk when he was ready but as a mum you just know when something's wrong don't you? He's nearly 7 now and doing really well, you would never know his early struggles with speech. However, I am just starting the process to getting him tested as I think he has dyslexia. His teacher agrees that he may be but thinks there is no point getting him tested as he won't get any extra help anyway as he is 'coping'.
So, I can't really offer any advice, other than to say I understand! My son sounds similar to yours, very sporty, a fantastic friend, very kind and loyal. Mine is very confident and always has been although acknowledges he finds schoolwork 'tricky' and often tries to get out of homework. We focus on his triumphs and encourage all the way.
I'm hoping the 'diagnosis' will open new doors for him, I am also researching ways to help him as we have always done extra work at home because of his speech so that seems natural to us now.

Big hugs to you. Xxxx

nataliabuckler Fri 28-Mar-14 06:39:07

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

dolfrog Sun 13-Apr-14 16:55:58

Hi
Glue Ear is clinically known as Otitis Media with Effusion, which can cause Auditory Processing Disorder, which is one of the cause of the Dyslexic symptom.

Have a look at the APDUK Research Paper Collections" web pagewhich includes a an "Otitis Media" collection, Auditory Processing Disorder and Developmental Dyslexia research paper collections.

If you suspect your somn my have APD then you may requirea GP referral to Great Ormond Street Hopsital for an APD assessment.
You could also have a look at the Medical Research councils APD web pages
www.ihr.mrc.ac.uk/research/apd

dolfrog Sun 13-Apr-14 16:57:04

forgot link to APDUK web site ( my own APD kicking in lol)
www.tempinformation.apduk.org.uk/research.htm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now