My sons special educational needs are not being met

(9 Posts)
Chrissybabe10 Sat 05-Oct-13 08:22:15

Hi
can anyone help or share there experiences with me.
My son is currently going through getting a statement.
But it's currently being held up by the ot side of thing citing shortages with staff, my son is in p2 and we have been running to appoints and assessments for the last 2 years. He has no diagnoses and had been checked for autism and ADHD. We have been jumping through hoops doing everything that's asked and expected of us and the only support we have got is a couple of hours 2days a week behaviour support on his last term of p1. The school has cut his school day to 3 hours a day citing that they don't have the resources to deal with him. After 2 years of assessment after assessment I feel the school has takin a step back and I'm so disappoint because my sons education is suffering because it. We have had no say in this matter...can anybody help or share there experience with me x

Lilyloo Sat 05-Oct-13 08:30:38

I am shocked that a school can just 'cut' the hours of his day. 2 years seems an awfully long time to be waiting for a statement I know it takes time but usually support can be put in place whilst waiting I would have thought.
Hopefully someone with more knowledge will be on here soon.

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/special_needs

The statementing experts hang out here if you follow the link

You need to write to the school, confirming that your child has been on a reduced timetable due to their inability to meet his needs, giving the dates. (You will need this as evidence for later)

In that letter you must put the support he is receiving and any other details you know about.

You must finish the letter stating that you will give the one week to make their arrangement and then your Ds will be attending full-time (as he is legally entitled to).

Are you in Scotland?

MrsShrek3 Sat 05-Oct-13 08:43:17

you say he has "no diagnosis" - but where is the process up to? presumably he's under community paed and/or CAMHS? done the ADOS? Just wondering really as pushing the dx side will make statementing far easier. It can be (and regularly is) done without formal dx as obv it is on educational need but unfortunately it seems to be a much easier and quicker process with a dx. You have to fight more without dx.

Chrissybabe10 Sat 05-Oct-13 10:32:17

His statement has only been on going over the last 5 months. When we tried to request a statutory assessment 1 year ago we were advised by his educational officer not to do it because he was only at stadge 3 involvement. My son has speech and language issue that dosnt just effect his speech but his understanding of it also, he has behavioural issues that stem from this. He is currently being assessed now for add and we are trying to be patient and hope that the statement will get him the help he needs, but I now have lost confidence in the whole system as my son is falling between the cracks. He has a lot of involvement in the sense of speical speech therapy, pediatrician, ot and educational Physcoligist and they all have been involved with him before he started nursery, they say it's because he is so borderline in all areas so they can't diagnose him anything, I feel like pulling him out of school altogether, but he loves school and I would only be hurting him and that's probably what the school wants any way. We asked the school that if he was having a good day why can he not stay and if he's having a bad day call us we would come take him home, but they said it was agreed by the school and the board of governors and they also cited health and safty of there staff and pupils. What about health and safty between 9-12??????? I'm from norther Ireland bty x

You really need to post this on the board I linked to as the people over there will know how to help and rarely come onto this part of the board.

Also, (sorry to be pedantic) it will help if you break up your posts a bit into paragraphs or just put spaces every 3 lines or so as it is hard to read.

The situation you describe is illegal and the posters there will be able to show you how to address this.

Chrissybabe10 Sat 05-Oct-13 11:05:39

Thanks for your advice, I just posted with your link and even paragraphed it :-)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now