Help - what presents like dyspraxia that isn't dyspraxia?

(30 Posts)
SantasHugandRollintheSnow Thu 13-Dec-12 18:56:25

Just that really.

Ds1 has a long list of issues which point to dyspraxia (will type list below my post so people don't have to read it if they don't want to).

He's being referred for SALT through school but after a chat with his teacher we agreed it was a good idea to get a referral for dyspraxia testing.

Went to the dr today who is referring him to a paediatrician as the list is so long to rule out any other causes. She skirted around the issue and didn't give me any indication of what "other things" it could be.

Does anyone have any experience with this or should I get back on the case as the referral could take a long time?

He's 4.8 and the very long list is below.

The symptoms are:

Noticed by school;

Finds it difficult to sit still for long periods of time, often fidgety and only recently able to cross legs.

Used to get very emotional when asked to try and put his own coat, shoes etc on. This has improved but can still get frustrated.

Moves at speed across classroom flapping hands. Unsteady on feet and bumps into classroom furniture.

Been referred to SALT as he has difficulty following instructions, understanding complex sentences, he is difficult to understand and his speech sounds are immature (missing out verbs).

We have noticed (some may overlap with above)

Gross motor skills all behind, still cannot skip, hop on right foot (can on left) or pedal a trike/bike.

Potty trained v. Late (3.7 yrs) and still has frequent wetting accidents.

Fine motor skills behind, cannot tie a scarf, do up or undo buttons, struggles with zips only learned how to dress recently (since August for most, October for coat, socks and shoes).

Movement issues, very clumsy, poor spacial awareness, fidgety, arms flap when excited, falls off chairs.

Speech behind, very shrill high pitched scream when excited, cannot vocalise what he wants.

Behaviour, still prone to tantrums, cannot use knife or scissors, struggles to accept new things or changes to routine, very sensitive but highly emotionally intelligent.

Sorry for the epic list!

lac13ma1 Tue 08-Jan-13 23:48:02

My daughter is left handed, which makes writing more difficult for her also but she also has low muscle tone meaning her pencil grip is weak, can't do buttons, wobbly, walked really late, slouches when sitting, can't really stand still on the spot, instead goes back and forth on each foot.
She has not hit a dx if dyspraxia but it is something I have been thinking of looking into, it's just hard when every single problem is a symptom if loads of things. Xx

PrettyPineapples Sat 12-Jan-13 18:23:06

To me what you described is Aspergers.He is young and Aspergers becomes more apparent as they get older.Ds is 13 and his Aspergers was not picked up until 8yrs.He also has probable dyspraxia but this is undiagnosed - its the 'flapping when excited' and dislike of routine change which you describe that has me thinking this.Ds also has the -weak pencil grip,poor handwriting,poor concentration,tires easily,poor motor skills,poor coordination,obsessive interests which change from time to time(star wars.batman etc),extremely sensitive,dislikes loud noise and smells, poor social understanding,literal meaning of everything(ie you need to pull your socks up-"but my socks are not down"-,gets angry easily,hard to reason with him.

PrettyPineapples Sat 12-Jan-13 18:27:20

Forgot to add that he has terrible difficulty following instructions.They must be short,clear,concise and a double instruction throws him completely ie take your jacket to the hall and put your bag in the cupboard-he will only remember one of these.

BCBG Sat 12-Jan-13 18:37:26

Perfect (I mean it) description of my 10 year old DD who is very dyslexic/dyspraxic and has lots of interventions and OT through school now. Our GP told me to my face that 'dyspraxia was just a middle class label for children who were a little bit different' angry. Some GPs are very reluctant to 'label' a child with Dyspraxia and we had quite a fight until she was 8 and finally everyone agreed/she was properly assessed. Dyspraxia is a broad label that covers a range of gross and fine motor coordination skills (the 'praxis') that may be absent. My DD has problems with gross and fine motor skills so her handwriting is hopeless (dysgraphia) problems with numbers (dyscalculia) and auditory processing /short term memory problems. Poor concentration, excitability, fear of sounds, sensation and taste issues etc.Instructions have to be segmented down to the basics. Having said all that she is academically a high achiever as long as she is allowed to take information in aurally, and either deliver it aurally or via a laptop or scribe with extra time. It isn't the end of the world, just something that has to be worked with. Difference with Prettypineapples' DS is that my DD does not have obsessive interests or poor social understanding; if anything she is too empathetic, so I would guess that is where more significant problems might show.

BCBG Sat 12-Jan-13 18:39:32

Oh, and yes to tantrums (even now! grin) and difficulty verbalising - she is amazingly articulate except when under pressure. We taught her to count to ten under her breath and it has really helped - before that she would clamp her hands over her ears and run from the room or classroom screaming.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now