Has anyone had any success getting a LEA to fund a private school?

(54 Posts)
LadyMaryCreepyCrawley Sat 20-Oct-12 16:44:32

Ds (13) is incredibly bright but has sensory issues and some social skills problems, which mean it's very difficult for him to work in a noisy/bright classroom. He's also a bully magnet due to this social skills problems. Moderate to loud noises/bangs are magnified, and he finds them painful and very distressing. He's also possibly dyspraxic. He's pretty much always been privately educated because the class sizes are small.

He's been in his secondary school for over 2 years, and was awarded a bursary when he started as I was forced to give up my job due to ill health. I was told this week that it was awarded in error, and there is no money for the bursary to continue. I have to now either pay the full fees myself, or move him. I do work, but I am unable to work full time and cover the fees, so we're stuck. I can't move him into a state school as he just wouldn't cope. Is there anyway that I can get help from the LEA? I know it's a long shot, and am prepared for the worst. He doesn't have a statement.

Thank you.

LadyMaryCreepyCrawley Sun 21-Oct-12 17:43:54

smile Thank you. I really didn't think that they would take my word for it, and I know it's going to take a while. I've done my sums, and if he is awarded the DLA he'll be able to stay. I'll use the link above and hope for the best. I can see it needing an appeal though so it may not be done by Christmas. I've just picked up a little more work so that will help in the meantime.

LadyMaryCreepyCrawley Mon 22-Oct-12 11:49:38

The paeds has referred him for physio and to see and OT. She said he has very poor muscle tone in his feet and hands, and that it's probable that he's borderline Aspergers but she wasn't sure as there was some evidence to suggest that he was, but he sat and spoke to her and communicated well. He has to go back in 6 months to see if anything's changed. She told me to apply for DLA again.

Hulaflame Mon 12-Nov-12 09:15:31

Try St Annes College Grammar School in the North West - their fees are much less than other independents and they have very small classes and teachers who are trained in dyslexia and dyspraxia.

goralka Mon 12-Nov-12 09:20:59

have you heard of buttle.org LadyMary?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now