No idea what they tested for...

(4 Posts)
Feminine Thu 27-Sep-12 09:47:31

Its a long story, but to make it a bit shorter...

We moved from a totally different (US) school system in the spring.

DS is in YR4 , last term his teacher wanted to flag up his concentrating skills. This term his new teacher has.

Last week the SEN department head, asked me if I would sign a piece of paper allowing him to be tested? "to see if we can help him better in school"

I asked her what did they suspect he needed help with, and she said she didn't know at this point confused

So, last week he took the test, like all 9 year olds , he remembered a bit of the test, lots of reading ...and a test with his fingers touching the thumb?

Apparently we/ they won't get the results for another 3 weeks, and its got me wondering...

Anyone have any ideas please smile

Feminine Thu 27-Sep-12 14:10:27

Bump smile

sununu Thu 27-Sep-12 14:21:03

my son is dyspraxic, in his assessments I do remember him being asked to touch the doctor's finger, then his own nose, and touching finger to thumb... but can't really speculate from what you've said. I imagine they might be screening for a wide variety of issues, but they really ought to be communicating better I would say. can you ask to talk to them again? who actually assessed him - someone from outside school?
in a very general way though I would say that you might feel resistant to having your child labelled with a problem (not assuming though!) but for those of us who have fought for intervention it is good to have someone paying attention and potentially offering extra help.

Feminine Thu 27-Sep-12 18:22:20

sun oh no, I don't mind and I am grateful also.

I'm just wondering what they are looking for, I think the school must have some idea...

Yes, you are right, its probably difficult to get anything from what I've written, after all I didn't wink

I think I'll go in to school in the morning and have a little chat. smile

Thanks for your reply.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now