devastated! son has first appointment the same day that i start uni

(13 Posts)
cheesesarnie Wed 05-Sep-12 13:44:42

his first appointment with the child psychiatrist came today, its my first day at uni.

i rang them and they said they could change it but it could push it back 6 months, they said it was ok for just his dad to go but i feel so bad, i want to be there sad

Aw, I feel for you!! That must be hard. Daddy should cope though, but give him a bullet list to help maybe?

Good luck with Child Psychiatrist and with uni. What are you studying?

cheesesarnie Wed 05-Sep-12 21:32:36

thanks, ive calmed down slightly now smile. it was his first day at secondary school today so letter just really upset me!

list is great idea!

thankyou- mental health nursing.

mirry2 Wed 05-Sep-12 21:35:01

You don't have to go to the first day of university and you won't miss much. There's always some student who starts late.

cheesesarnie Wed 05-Sep-12 21:38:05

really?

i thought it would be one of the most important days?

MattDamonIsMyLover Wed 05-Sep-12 21:41:01

You can miss first day. It will make it easier yo talk to people, just go up to them and ask what happened etc as you weren't there. It'll break the ice.

tabulahrasa Wed 05-Sep-12 21:41:14

Do you know what is actually happening on your first day? Is it just a turn up and see thing or do you have things timetabled in?

First lectures and seminars are loads of red tape and then about 20 minutes actual teaching time...and that's if it's not just a welcome to uni, this is a map, get your ID card here type thing anyway.

cheesesarnie Wed 05-Sep-12 22:06:10

time table. plus handing in forms and getting an appointment for jabs <hate jabs>, ID card and whatever else.

mirry2 Wed 05-Sep-12 22:20:47

cheesesarnie if that's all it is I would give it a miss. Just email the admin department to tell them why you won't be there.

I am doing an access course and applying for adult nursing for next year. I was torn between Adult and Mental health as I currently work in a home for the elderly with MH problems. I will end up doing the same with Adult Nursing though.

Worth asking if it is ok not to be there, from what others have said.

tabulahrasa Thu 06-Sep-12 00:14:12

Ah you could do all that by phone and email, it's not really important stuff you have to do in person.

mirry2 Thu 06-Sep-12 00:26:14

I don't know, tabulahrasa, I think that student registration has to be done in person but the OP has a very understandable reason that she can't do it on the registration day. Under the circumstance outlined by the op, I don't believe that any colleged/universaity would insist that she turned up on the day.

cheesesarnie Fri 07-Sep-12 12:19:34

Thankyou all.

We sat down and discussed it with DS. He was quite happy for me not to go (very happy actually) and wants to treat it as a day with daddy. I'll be free for half an hour after the meeting starts so if theirs anything that they need I am reachable by phone.

DH pointed out that he has been unable to attend all of ds's appointments over the years so although he knows how I feel, he feels that he can be the one to do this one.

So I am going to write things down that I want to add to the meeting and trust DH grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now