Lucid Reading/Comprehension Booster and Memory Booster

(8 Posts)
overdueAbreak Tue 09-Jul-13 20:37:50

Hi, just found this thread from long ago! Can anyone explain what the difference is between auditory processing and auditory memory. Would memory booster help both? I am getting very confused about both. Thanks

mcmama Wed 26-Oct-11 21:04:31

Thanks, I'll look into the things you've suggested.

I've read some of Dolfrogs posts on here and other sites but we need to decide on spending more money on a possible diagnosis of APD or spending it on something that may help with the problems we already know about IYSWIM. confused

IndigoBell Tue 25-Oct-11 17:27:40

OK, well you need to try to improve his hearing.

AIT very much improves hearing - I think the cheapest place charges about £300.

And Earobics etc also improves auditory processing.

Sound Reading seems to have more 'reading' in it, whereas Earobics pretends not to be teaching reading (which I wanted for my DD is she is so sick of 'learning to read' )

(I'm sure Dolfrog will be along any minute now to tell you I'm talking bollocks.)

But what I'm telling you is exactly what I'm doing for my DD......

For spelling I'm also doing Hornet Literacy Primer - which is designed for kids with auditory problems.

mcmama Tue 25-Oct-11 17:19:15

Everything seems to be affected sad The problem is he doesn't process all of what he hears so therefore his comprehension of all subjects incl reading/phonics and blending is affected. The ed psych suggested different approaches that could be used particularly within the classroom but I don't think the teacher has used any of these. Unfortunately the ed psych didn't recommend any programmes that could improve his memory, processing or comprehension.

IndigoBell Tue 25-Oct-11 16:29:17

Memory booster just wasn't very good smile

It certainly wasn't anything to do with improving your auditory memory.

I think you'd be better off with one of the 3 products I listed. The only one I've used is Earobics. I think it's working - but until we retest DD in 6 months or so I can't know whether it's working or not.

Did the EP not recommend anything?

Is his reading a problem? His spelling? Or just his memory?

mcmama Tue 25-Oct-11 16:24:31

Thanks, I will look into what you've suggested. What was it that put you off memory booster?

We had an ed psych do the Wisc-iv with our DS and she said he had a specific "difficulty with his auditory working memory i.e the ability to briefly store and process auditory information". Whether this is the same as an auditory processing disorder, I don't know. confused

IndigoBell Tue 25-Oct-11 15:52:53

I tried Memory Booster and wasn't too impressed.

Have you had his auditory working memory tested? Are you sure that's the problem or are you guessing? ( I thought memory was the problem, and was wrong...)

I'm currently doing Earobics and like that. I also like the look of HearBuilder and Sound Reading - but they're more for auditory processing problems rather than auditory memory (which is why I asked if you'd had it tested...)

And I've also done Auditory Integration Training - which does cost the earth (and then some smile ) But I was very pleased with.

mcmama Tue 25-Oct-11 09:19:42

Hi all

Does anyone have any experience of using these programmes to help their child? Was it any good?

Does anyone know of any other programmes that help with auditory working memory and comprehension that works and doesn't cost the earth?

Thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now