This topic is for discussing slings and backpacks. If you want to buy or sell slings and backpacks, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Best carrier for bad back/sciatica?

(6 Posts)
BarbaMamma Sat 27-Feb-10 17:21:05

I've got newborn and have been using a Moby-style wrap sling which is great but it seems to bring on back ache and sciatica, and I don't like having the knot at the back - rubbish when sitting down.

Any hot tips on what the best sling/carrier could be for me to avoid lower back pain/sciatica? TIA.

Loopymumsy Sun 28-Feb-10 08:51:02

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BarbaMamma Mon 01-Mar-10 10:30:01

Thanks Loopy - that's really helpful. I haven't quite worked out how to do it yet, but tight definitely seems to work better.

Have you got any experience of using the Ergo sling or similar for a new-ish baby? Just wondering if I (= my knackered old back) might be better off with a sling that carries the weight on my hips and not my shoulders or back.

Loopymumsy Mon 01-Mar-10 12:50:09

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

JamInMyWellies Mon 01-Mar-10 13:08:19

I have beco butterfly which is brilliant.

I used a soft wrap when both my DC were newborn but as they have gotten older swapped to this. It can be worn on the front or back and will take a nb also a toddler. My 2.8yr DS still rides in it on my back.

great site you can hire the carriers to trial them

blu3sky Tue 02-Mar-10 13:08:34

I have an Ergo and do it up on my hips which has eased the pain in my shoulders but has made the lower back pain worse (especially when it isn't tight enough)... I think it is largely dependent on individual people though so you may find it great Sorry.

If you look on http://www.wrapyourbaby.com/pretiedx.htm there are different ways of tying a wrap. Most of them are demonstrated with a woven wrap but I'm sure the one I've linked to would be good with a moby - and ties at the front :D There are ways to tie on there (there are also youtube videos all over the place) that may be better. You could tie high and very tight so the weight is on your shoulders and upper back. You can tie your wrap at your hips so your hips take the weight (which is what I do with my wrap and it really works). This is all if you don't want to buy another baby carrier wink

I second Loopymumsy's suggestion of a slingmeet as well grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now