This topic is for discussing slings and backpacks. If you want to buy or sell slings and backpacks, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

sling for newborn

(7 Posts)
dollydaydream84 Fri 22-Jul-16 16:09:57

ive got a 4 week old who loves being held, didnt have a sling for DD1 but need hands free some of the day. can you reccomend a sling for such a teeny one? i need something quick that i can get on by myself, a lot of the wraps intimidate me. i like the look of baby bjorn carrier but somewhere in my memory i think its got mixed reviews?

apologies for punctuation one hand is occupied by snuggler!!

thanks in advance

FizzyFeet Fri 22-Jul-16 16:31:26

Congratulations! Enjoy those snuggles!

I have only used the Hana wrap with a newborn - it was a bit fiddly at first but you quickly get the hang of it - like tying up shoelaces, it becomes automatic. I do recommend it - keeps them nice and secure and way comfier on your back and shoulders.

The baby bjorn is frowned on by some because the baby's legs aren't in the best position (knees need to be higher than bum). You can use a scarf to fix this if you happen to have one. Quite a few people I know prefer the ergo 360 to the bjorn - supposedly easier on the back too.

Maybebabybee Fri 22-Jul-16 16:33:15

I had a Hana wrap too and DS loved it when he was a newborn. Hates it now.

I have a mei tai sling now (hop tye) and I love it. DS is 4 months but I think they are excellent for newborns too.

bonzo77 Fri 22-Jul-16 16:40:24

Close Caboo or stretchy wrap like Kari-me. Or buckled carrier with new born insert, like ergo or Tula. Boba 4g comes with an insert. Connecta can be adapted for a newborn. I'd get to a sling library and try / hire before you buy, because a carrier you like is a life saver. One you hate will be an expensive mistake. I've used a few over the years, always bought used then sold on making only a small loss each time.

bonzo77 Fri 22-Jul-16 16:41:26

If you cannot get to a sling library there's a website called "itsaslingthing" that give phone advice and postal hire.

CurlsLDN Fri 22-Jul-16 16:45:08

Close caboo is great. Having a soft stretchy wrap will snuggle baby close to you, making them feel cosy and secure, and also keeping them all cozily tucked in while you are busy doing other things.

I was daunted by the stretchy wraps too, but as the close caboo is sewn into shape it's v straightforward to take on and off by yourself. Here's a video
youtu.be/isuYw6HiXnc

dollydaydream84 Sat 23-Jul-16 14:19:15

Thanks for all the suggestions, we do have a local sling library which I will check out thanks for reminding me!! Also good to know about the postal sling too and youtube videos! thanks all x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now