This topic is for discussing slings and backpacks. If you want to buy or sell slings and backpacks, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Newborn stretchy wrap questions

(6 Posts)
FurryGiraffe Tue 07-Jun-16 08:58:23

I'm trying to get to grips with my Moby and DS2 (3 weeks). Had a structured carrier for DS1 when he was a bit older but I am a stretchy wrap novice grin. I have two (probably daft) questions.

First is about head positioning. I have him in the newborn hug hold. When he's asleep I can stretch the wrap over his head a little to protect it, but when awake he tends to want to hold his head up (head seems very strong) and look around, so the material obviously doesn't stay put and I have to protect his head/neck with my hand. Is this expected or am I doing something wrong with the wrap/positioning him in it?

Second, leg positioning. He's in cloth nappies so his legs seem to end up more frog leg position in the wrap than foetal IYSWIM. Is this an issue?

Any advice and wisdom much appreciated!

BertieBotts Tue 07-Jun-16 09:02:59

Froggy legs is perfect. Head thing sounds fairly normal - it will get easier when he gets more neck control.

BertieBotts Tue 07-Jun-16 09:04:26

If he can hold his head (fairly normal in that position ) you don't have to protect it though. Only if you're bending down or moving particularly vigorously.

Starman16 Tue 07-Jun-16 09:09:51

You could try the rolled muslin trick in this video (toward the end) if you want to give a bit of neck support but have head exposed:
youtu.be/rolJa2IfHeE

FurryGiraffe Tue 07-Jun-16 09:11:55

Thanks Bertie.

Yes he can hold his head-I'm sure you're right and I don't need to worry about it most of the time. I think I have 'he's so tiny and fragile' paranoia! Probably exacerbated by comparison with DS1, who is 3 and suddenly seems like a giant!

FurryGiraffe Tue 07-Jun-16 09:14:06

Thanks Starman- I'll take a look

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now