This topic is for discussing slings and backpacks. If you want to buy or sell slings and backpacks, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Slings in winter....

(11 Posts)
Tory79 Mon 18-Aug-14 16:43:08

Sorry for a really stupid out of season question, but how do slings work in winter? Do you wear them over your coat?

I wear my sling and then put one of DH's coats over both of us!

But you can get babywearing coats / fleeces if you want to.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Mon 18-Aug-14 16:47:16

Under is better. Much easier to keep baby dry and warm, and it means if you go inside you can strip a layer without taking off the sling. This is the rolls Royce of coats:
www.suseskinder.com/deluxekindercoat.htm
But a massive fleece and a brolly work quite well too.

Tory79 Mon 18-Aug-14 16:51:08

Yes it seems like it should be under, and yet none of my coats would go over a sling! Dhs coats would drown me as I'm tiny and he....isn't....

I didn't know you could get coats specifically for this, I'll gave to babe a search. That first one looks amazing, couldn't see a price though which is always a bit scary!

Tory79 Mon 18-Aug-14 16:51:35

Have to have!

You can often get fleeces on ebay for not a lot!

WhoMovedMyVuvuzela Mon 25-Aug-14 12:41:09

This is also really good, cheaper than a coat that goes over both of you.

PurplePidjin Mon 25-Aug-14 12:51:42

DS was born in November, for the first winter (and it REALLY snowed in the January) he lived in the stretchy under one of dp's coats - or you could get a men's one from a charity shop if you're vastly different sizes.

Last winter, he was on my back but I discovered that I could get him under the same coat - and under a lighter weight waterproof one as well as one of my heavier cardigans that has a cowl neck. Or if he's likely to be muddy or want up and down a lot I wear a waterproof myself, put him in his all in one suit and wellies, and use the buckle carrier. I wouldn't want to try and wrap over slippy wet weather gear!

Bear in mind that the sling will act as an extra layer of clothing. Even in snow, ds would wear a vest and babygrow and I'd add a woolly hat and some thick socks to go out smile

Artandco Mon 25-Aug-14 13:01:25

I just wore sling under and used the belt on coat to do it up. Is that an option? I found last notch on belt would go around both of us just about.
I would then wear a scarf as coat wasn't done up high, but small cotton one so baby ok

Have you seen the fleece covers I think ergo baby sell? I think they will fit most baby carriers to keep baby extra warm, but I used to just put warm booties over babygrow, warm cardigan and hat on baby then tuck a small blanket over top of sling so it hung over outside of baby ( and then belt coat over to keep all in place)

You only need you coat to cover your back and sides fully as baby will keep you warm on the front also, especially I you add blanket over baby/ sling fleece)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now