This topic is for discussing slings and backpacks. If you want to buy or sell slings and backpacks, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

boba, tula or R&R recommendations for a 3.5 preschooler

(14 Posts)

Hi wise ones

I have to go to London with my toddler next Monday. He hasn't used a pram in ages and there is no chance of getting him in one. He quite like to be carried on my back so was thinking that a carrier for older children might be good especially in the train/tube. He is quite small but relatively heavy.

So far I have come up with the above but would be keen to hear the recommendations. I have a catbird pikkolo but stopped using it ages ago as it felt like DS would topple over.

I also need the carrier to arrive supra quickly.

InvaderZim Tue 18-Feb-14 01:12:47

I carry my 32lb3.5 year old in a Boba 3G. It works fine but she's definitely getting big for it. Not sure I'd buy one new just for one trip. Also carrying is a lot harder if you're wearing a big coat and lugging other stuff. A frame carrier with storage space may be better.

bump

Thanks Invader. I was thinking of the boba 4G but am not sure whether it would be suitable. It won't be just for one trip. I am sure I will still get a fair bit of use out of it. I won't need to carry any lugagge so my preference is for an unstructured carrier as frame ones are quite heavy/uncomfortable.

Any other recommendations?

HoneyDragon Tue 18-Feb-14 12:15:44

I've got a Toddlehawk, dd still fits in it at four when it's required.

HoneyDragon Tue 18-Feb-14 12:16:02

ToddlerHawk

RegainingUnconsciousness Tue 18-Feb-14 12:23:10

We've got a good frame carrier: the Osprey Poco, and it's terrible (DH insisted on it). So I wouldn't recommend that. I'm currently borrowing a wrap for my nearly 3yo, he's growing out of our ergo. The wrap is actually really comfortable.

My baby wearing consultant friend has also recommended me the Tula, but I haven't tried it yet.

Is there a consultant/sling library near you that could hire from for a few days?

TheRaniOfYawn Tue 18-Feb-14 12:44:58

I have a preschooler R&R which was fine for a 3 year old and held my 5 year old safely although she was a bit too heavy for me to carry for a long time.

Interesting, thanks for your replies, I was considering the toddler hawk as well as at the moment it seems like one of the best and not as expensive as the others.

At the moment I am left with tula, rose and rebellion and toddler hawk. Obviously I would like to have as much wear out of it as possible so one that could hold him occasionally (or his brother currently 5)
for a bit longer would be great.

There isn't a sling library unfortunately and not that many wesites have got older children slings.

pootlebug Tue 18-Feb-14 14:07:15

I would go for the preschooler R&R or toddler Tula - both are considerably bigger than the toddlerhawk which isn't really all that wide to support longer legs.

Another possibility is the Toddler Action Baby Carrier - which is a bit cheaper than the other two, although marginally smaller I think.

Agreed to avoid the Boba - although you can use it for a bigger child I wouldn't buy it when the chid is already older iyswim.

Thanks everyone for so many useful replies. I needed to make a decision today and in the end I went for the Tula toddler as it seems to be the one with the most unanimous reviews. I hope it does the trick! I will report back after trip to London

Quick update. I received my sling today (fab customer service from the site I bought from). It is indeed massive. My 3.5 y.o was at nursery but I tried with his brother who is 5.5 y.o. He fitted in was very comfy and didn't want to get off. I only wish I had had it last year on holidays when he had meningitis and I had to carry him all the time.

My 3.5 DS will fit in it for a long time still. The sling is very well made and easy to use. Comfortable so far but the test of prolonged use/carry should reveal more. So far very chuffed (which is great as the sling was a fair bit of money)

RegainingUnconsciousness Wed 19-Feb-14 16:18:41

Thanks for the review. Where did you buy it from?

not sure if I am allowed to say, if not forgive me mumsnet and delete the post. It was from a site called b2boutique and the customer service was top. www.b2boutique.co.uk/Tula_Toddler_Carrier/

I tried with DS2 tonight and he loved it and kept saying "giddyup mummy". He didn't want to come down!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now