This topic is for discussing slings and backpacks. If you want to buy or sell slings and backpacks, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

sling help

(13 Posts)
BB01 Tue 07-Jan-14 15:22:23

Definitely recommend a sling library. We used a Close Caboo then moved onto a Beco Gemini. Also tried Boba and Connecta. Much prefer the soft structured type (all of the above except Caboo) but the Caboo is fantastic for when they're teeny. And others aren't so keen on structured ones but love wraps. So just try as many types as you can

Midori1999 Fri 27-Dec-13 19:09:17

Stretchy wraps are really easy once you've tied them a couple of times, especially if someone shows you how to use it. The advantage of them over buckle carriers is that you can put the baby in and take them out without having to undo the sling or take it off. So if you're going out in the car, put the wrap on at home, when you get to shops or whatever, pop baby in the sling, do your shopping, get back to the car, take baby out of sling, back into car, go home and when you get home either take the wrap off or pop baby back in.

You can learn to feed in any sling, but I found it impossible until baby was about 3 or 4 months old, probably due to huge breasts.

AcrylicPlexiglass Fri 27-Dec-13 13:34:24

I had a connecta. It was beautiful, simple to use and lasted from newborn until we stopped using a sling at about 18 months.

PieceOfTheMoon Fri 27-Dec-13 13:32:02

I used a Moby stretchy wrap from new born until about 4 months. It's so comfy to use. Looks a bit complicated, but is really easy after a couple of tries (and I am useless at things like that, if I can tie it anyone can!). Downsides are it can be a bit unweildy as is just a very long length of fabric (not easy to tie in a strong wind!) and because it's stretchy, by about 4mo DD was wriggling out of it.

so, then we moved on to a more structured sling and got an ergo. I love it, it's been worth every penny - so comfy, easy to use, handy pocket for purse, phone etc, easy to breast feed in discretely. You can buy an extra insert to use from birth, and various accessories for rain cover, teething pads etc.

MabelBee Fri 27-Dec-13 13:30:47

Should also add that I started slinging from about a week old and have invested in a Mama coat which covers both of us for the winter.

zinher Fri 27-Dec-13 13:30:03

Lots of ideas thank you. Stupid question but do you have to unwrap the whole thing to breast feed? I think it will be worth it to make the trek to the library as there is so much choice

MabelBee Fri 27-Dec-13 13:13:08

I've tried a few from a sling library and have stuck with a Connecta. It's a soft carrier but has buckles so just snaps on. The baby goes to sleep instantly (usually) so she must be comfy. I hated stretchy wraps like the moby but also quite liked the ease and closeness of a ring sling, although I found it a bit restrictive and it wasn't particularly good for my lingering SPD as the weight of the baby wasn't centred.

Haahoooo Fri 27-Dec-13 13:07:03

Indoors and outdoors - most babies love to be carried so may prefer it to the pram even when going out. Great for a walk or a quick trip to the shops. Invest in a comfortable backpack or shoulder bag for purse & baby things.

Have a look at the Manduca - it really couldn't be easier to put on.

zinher Fri 27-Dec-13 12:49:08

Thanks for the information. They look so complicated. I looked at the sling library. It looks really useful but is a bit far from me. Is the sling for use indoors?

littleducks Fri 27-Dec-13 12:31:14

I like stretchy wraps like these. It looks really complicated and I only got one on loan from sling library after they convinced me but honestly they arev really good.

Haahoooo Fri 27-Dec-13 12:26:43

Congratulations thanks

Different people prefer different slings so in an ideal world you'd try a couple and see how you feel (sling library?).

I love slings but am extremely clumsy person and didn't want anything too complicated, but also wanted to avoid the babybjorn type sling as I read those were bad for baby hips. So I've ended up with a Caboo close carrier (soft sling with rings, really easy to put on, ideal in the early months) and a Manduca (more structured, even easier to use, can go on my front or my back, suitable from newborn but can by used for ages 2+ as well).

Planning to use them both interchangeably with DC2.

Good luck!

CMOTDibbler Fri 27-Dec-13 12:23:11

You can use slings from newborn - mine was in it from the day we took him home and he was 5 weeks prem.

Theres loads of choices, and a sling library is a great way to try different ones and meet people who know how to use them. You can look for one here

zinher Fri 27-Dec-13 12:18:56

I am expecting DC1 and really want to try a sling. Unfortunately I have no idea about them. What should I be looking for? I want something which is not too complicated and also lightweight. Am a bit worried about using it safely.
From what age can you use them?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now