This topic is for discussing slings and backpacks. If you want to buy or sell slings and backpacks, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

ring sling help! !

(7 Posts)
fl0b0t Wed 18-Dec-13 17:36:05

Hello all! My LO is now 14 weeks old and loves being in slings. We have been given both a Mothercare version of the baby bjorn and a lovely ring sling.

I've only ever used the ring sling a couple of times because even though he falls asleep instantly in it, I find it quite uncomfortable. I've followed the instructions online and it feels like it should be right but it's just not comfy. I've had him in front facing in with legs in and legs out. I made sure the bottom of the sling was tight and the rings were in the right place on my shoulder at the front and the fabric was spread across my shoulder and at the back spread across my ribs. Any idea what I'm doing wrong? Any tips welcome!

You could look on you-tube, there are loads of 'how too' clips on there. Pax baby are well know so are a good place to start, see how they do it and go from there (there are loads...) pax baby one.

kellestar Thu 19-Dec-13 21:27:24

Have you got a local sling meet/library? I don't love my RS as much as my wraps or soft structured carriers like the Ergo. But it is handy for quick trips.

It sounds like you are doing things right, just maybe a little help with getting all in the right place.

I find the rings need to be much higher than I think. DS is 7 months and straightens his legs all the time, so we are back to the Ergo. I am getting a Tula for Christmas! Eep!

pootlebug Thu 19-Dec-13 21:29:02

Are you making a big enough 'seat' for the baby with plenty of fabric coming up under the bum and between the two of you?

Ring slings can be tricky to get the hang of. I second the suggestion above of going to your local sling library or sling meet for some in-person help.

fl0b0t Mon 23-Dec-13 23:23:33

Thanks. Found a local sling meet so hopefully will meet them in the new year.

fl0b0t Mon 23-Dec-13 23:23:41

Thanks. Found a local sling meet so hopefully will meet them in the new year.

SweetTeaVodka Sun 05-Jan-14 16:56:16

Aside from the "standard" way to wear ring slings, it is also perfectly safe to wear with the rings on the back - it's less common, but some people find it comfier. This video shows rings on the back, and so does this one.

When you get to your local sling meet, it might be worth asking about different shoulder styles. Ring slings can be made with different "shoulders" and which one is most comfortable is very much a matter of individual perference, as the different styles cause the fabric to sit on the shoulder differently. The main styles are shown in this image (I've also heard the folded shoulder called a hot dog shoulder).

And finally, ring slings are a bit deceptive in that they look so easy and they are once mastered, but they do seem to take a bit of practice first to find where your sweet spot is with them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now