This topic is for discussing slings and backpacks. If you want to buy or sell slings and backpacks, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Are all woven wraps created equal?...(apart from pattern/colours)

(4 Posts)
Laquila Sun 15-Dec-13 10:39:54

I've used a Kari Me so far but my 3.5 mth old (14lb-ish) has started to slowly slip down when we wear it. I'm now looking into an SSC such as the Beco Gemini, Ergo or Manduca or possibly a woven wrap instead.

Having spent a few fascinating hours trawling various Facebook slingboards, I'm a bit confused as to the pricing of woven wraps - are the expensive ones basically just priced like that because of the beautiful colours, patterns and designs, or the fact that they're limited editions/rare or similar, or are some woven wraps just better than others? I've seen some for as little as £35 and some for as much as £150! I had assumed that they were all basically just lengths of woven material (admittedly differing lengths) but am I missing something?!

Rockchick1984 Mon 16-Dec-13 13:37:18

The more expensive ones are generally more expensive due to the brand, limited quantities made, they may be woven with more expensive blends eg silk, wool.

Something like a Lenny Lamb bamboo blend is perfect if you're just starting to use a woven - soft straight from the box so no need to break it in, will only set you back around £50 and resale value is good so you will get back most of what you paid when you have finished with it. A lot of others are 100% cotton so will need softening up / breaking in if you buy them new. Hope that helps a bit!

Laquila Mon 16-Dec-13 22:43:02

Thanks Rockchick! I have a supersoft bamboo blanket and would love a wrap made from the same kind of mix. I'll have a look at the Lenny Lamb ones.

I think also some 'wear in' quicker than others, once a sling is worn in (soft and floppy) its easier to wrap with. I like the hippy rainbow stripes of the girasol ones but prefer the feel of the didymos ones. I fancy a didymos 'indio' for next year when (all being well) I'll have a newborn, they seem to 'wear in' really quickly and be lovely and soft for a newborn.

Some prices are really high if they are a limited edition or something, some of them are like collectors items.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now