This topic is for discussing slings and backpacks. If you want to buy or sell slings and backpacks, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Best carrier for forward facing?

(9 Posts)
BertieBotts Thu 06-Mar-14 17:59:59

Does your pushchair sit up? DS was wanting to see out at about 3-4 months. I only lay it down when he was sleeping.

BertieBotts Thu 06-Mar-14 17:59:19

The problem with front facing is that it means you can't distribute the baby's weight properly onto your hips, so it's all hanging off your shoulders. No good for back pain. The mothercare carrier will do this in all positions though, so not so helpful. However if it's all you have try the scarf hack - it may make it more comfortable for both of you smile

I used to do a sort of half-side-carry in a stretchy wrap. You need a wrap for this really, it doesn't work with a more structured carrier. Put it on like you would for a normal front wrap cross carry or "newborn hug hold" - you need the horizontal on the outside (Don't worry if this makes no sense, it will if you have a sling in front of you and/or the guide of how to do these ties!) When you put the baby into the wrap, scooch them around to one side of your body so they aren't dead centre. You may need to make one of your cross straps longer than the other - you'd have to fiddle around with it but IME it's fairly easy to jiggle it until it feels right.

Then when they're half around to the side, you tuck their arm (and shoulder) which is closest to your armpit in, and the arm which is closer to the centre of your body out.

It's similar to a hip carry, but gets in the way of your arm less, and is more supportive because it uses two shoulder straps. It's not as comfy as a normal, centred front carry but because it doesn't require a dominant arm you can swap sides (and you should every 4 hours or so because otherwise it will get achy) BUT the baby can see out, and as a bonus they can snuggle in when it all gets too much which is the other criticism of front facing carries.

CruCru Thu 06-Mar-14 17:50:47

Hi OP

I have a Beco Gemini and an Ergo. I wouldn't use the Beco all day but it is good for the odd hour.

AHardDaysWrite Sat 09-Nov-13 22:24:06

Nosey babies often like being carried on your back - have a look at the ergo, manduca or connecta, which all do front and back carries.

lisad123everybodydancenow Sun 20-Oct-13 19:26:32

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LindsayS79 Sun 20-Oct-13 18:24:44

Thanks both. I'll try her facing in again to see if I can get her to like it more. Ideally I would love her to start being settled in her pram but that's another issue..!!!

pootlebug Sat 19-Oct-13 23:08:50

I am not a big fan of facing out - primarily because it puts so much more pressure on your back. Facing in, the baby wraps their legs around you, bringing them closer to your centre of gravity. Facing out, they pull away and pull on your back.

I have yet to see any convincing research on hip/spine harm from facing out (and I am a sling consultant so look for that kind of stuff). That said, it doesn't support either hips or spine as ergonomically as facing in. Given how many people use facing out carriers without reporting harm, you should be okay. I would however limit it to short periods, and not when your little one wants to sleep, as you'd both be comfier sleeping with her facing you.

If you are still determined to face out, I'd recommend the Beco Gemini. That's pretty much the only thing I'd recommend. It also works well as a facing-you carrier, on both front and back.

Forward facing is not a great position for your or baby. It's not good for your back, and could potentially be very bad for your baby's hips and spine. This is a very good link explaining why...
www.bobafamily.com/2011/10/11/nine-reasons-not-to-carry-your-baby-facing-out/

Babies who are facing in can still be nosy, but then easily snuggle and sleep if they get overwhelmed by the world. I think you should look into a ring sling, so you can do hips carries, or once your baby has good head control, a carrier that you can wear on your back, like an Ergo, Tula or Rose and Rebellion.

LindsayS79 Fri 18-Oct-13 23:42:11

My 15 week old DD LOVES to be carried and is very nosey so prefers to look out. I currently have a mothercare sling but it is not comfortable for me (don't think it is for her either)

Is there a carrier that is better for those who prefer to be forward? I have a lot of back and pelvis pain so I need something to help avoid aggravating that...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now