Note: This topic is for discussing slings and backpacks. If you want to buy or sell slings and backpacks, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic. Thanks, MNHQ.

Too scared to use Close Caboo!

(7 Posts)
IJustWoreMyTrenchcoat Brazil Thu 19-Sep-13 05:13:03

I have a Close Caboo sling for my 6 week old baby and am dying to use it regularly but am scared I am putting him in it wrong and will hurt him.

He is a very clingy baby, and loves nothing more than being cuddled in and held close, and he seems to have a sixth sense for when he is put down. In fact if whoever is holding him so much as holds him away from them for a moment he does a full on startle, throwing his hands in the air.

Once I got through the fog of the early baby weeks I tried the sling and although he screamed and screamed (he tends to hate being bothered for nappy changes, getting dressed etc.) so badly I thought I would have to give up, he then went out like a light and slept for a couple of hours.

The next time I tried him though he cried and wouldn't stop so I had to just take him out sad. I have studied the instructions and various youtube videos, I put him in in front of a mirror and ensured his legs and bum are in an M shape but I am anxious I will harm his development using the sling incorrectly.

I live in a pretty isolated area, nearest sling meet is too far away so I guess I am asking if there is a way to tell all is not well or if my baby is quite comfortable in there but just fussing. I want an Ergo or something similar when he is a little bigger but would like to get some use out of the Caboo first.

Just put him in it and walk for at least 20 minutes, even if its just round in circles in the living room.

He may be crying because he's hungry and can smell your milk, so try to feed him before hand, maybe even in the sling if you can.

aliceinapalace Thu 19-Sep-13 22:20:04

I had similar issues with my dd, I just kept trying for small amounts of time when she was settled I.e. fed, changed etc for a few days. She got used to it quickly and putting her in and out lots of times made me much more confident. She really loved it and for a few weeks it was the only way to her to nap!

IJustWoreMyTrenchcoat Brazil Sat 21-Sep-13 04:42:37

Is there a way to tell if he is in right? I feel like his legs and bum are in the 'M' shape but his legs seem very drawn up and I do t know if he's comfortable.

gotadifferentnamenow Sat 21-Sep-13 08:07:03

A newborn's legs will be very drawn up in a sling - does this pic help?

YoniBottsBumgina Sat 21-Sep-13 10:22:27

It does need to be tight - think of swaddling - you can't do it too tightly!

Remember he was very scrunched up inside you and he didn't hurt himself then. Newborns are meant to be scrunched up.

With a 6 week old you can either put their legs "froggy style" or put them out. DS never liked his legs in - he used to try and stand up in the sling confused so I always had them out.

Don't worry too much about the m thing - it's a rule of thumb that means they need to be in a sitting position with the weight on their bum rather than a "dangled in a harness" position with their legs straight down, like a baby bjorn. It doesn't have to be a sharp "M", the important part is that their knees are higher than their hips.

IJustWoreMyTrenchcoat Brazil Mon 23-Sep-13 05:53:33

I will keep trying, thank you for your suggestions.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now