Note: This topic is for discussing slings and backpacks. If you want to buy or sell slings and backpacks, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic. Thanks, MNHQ.

comfy back carrier for toddler hikes

(7 Posts)
LoobyLou33 Thu 05-Sep-13 01:28:52

Vinegar that is interesting about the manduca. Maybe we should try him in it - though not sure I can afford a second one! Also interesting about the macpac - I'll look it up!
Thanks everyone.

BikeRunSki Wed 04-Sep-13 20:49:16

DH used to work in an outdoor shop. When parents came in saying that their baby backpack was not comfortable (wither for them or the child) he'd give them a MacPac to try and send them out for a little walk. Instant comfort for parent and child. When DS was born, we got one too. The difference between the models (Possum and Vamoose) is mostly down to their storage capacity.

VinegarDrinker Wed 04-Sep-13 20:48:53

We use our Manduca for DS (2.5). We got given a framed carrier but both he and we hate it! It feels much more unsteady especially over rough ground, and I am convinced it makes him feel heavier (presumably due to centre of gravity being further away from you).

We've done quite a lot of hiking with him in it including up Snowdon etc. I did 4.5 miles of Ceredigion coastal path with him on my back and DD in a Connecta on my front last week!

The only advantage I see really of framed carriers is some have a raincover whereas we share an XXL kagoule!

AFishWithoutABicycle Wed 04-Sep-13 20:44:59

We have a Macpac vamoose. It's really good, haven't tried anything else though.

philbee Wed 04-Sep-13 20:43:05

I think Little Life make framed carriers. But you can also get soft structured carriers for toddlers, bigger sizes. Or you could try a woven wrap, that's what I used for DD1 when she was that age.

LoobyLou33 Sun 01-Sep-13 01:02:37

D'oh that first line should say Tomy carrier!

LoobyLou33 Sun 01-Sep-13 01:01:55

We inherited a to my back carrier which dh used with our 2 yo (he's about 30 lbs) for the first time this week. It's very light but didn't look mega comfy to me. I'd like some advice on good sturdy, supportive carriers for hiking - is the tomy as good as any or are there better options out there? We have a manduca for baby but the advantage of a framed carrier is he can see out better for sitting further back and I assume they can take heavier weights too? Loathe to pass up a freebie but I suspect there are better carriers than the tomy one.

Ta!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now