This topic is for discussing slings and backpacks. If you want to buy or sell slings and backpacks, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Which carrier for a BIG baby? Love my hippychick hipseat but want to go handsfree - my other carriers hurt my neck and shoulders. What should I try?

(8 Posts)
Rockchick1984 Mon 02-Sep-13 11:17:32

Rose and Rebellion are excellent and carry most of the weight on your hips - my DH has a badly damaged back and its the only sling he's found comfortable!

MammaCici Wed 28-Aug-13 08:26:37

Thanks for the suggestions. I Iive abroad (Sweden) and I don't know any sling libraries. But it's a great concept! I'll see if I can try on in any of the shops here. I think I'd know straight away how the weight was being distributed. My munchkin already weighs as much as a 1 year old and he's gaining fast. He's an all night nurser!

I'd buy second hand only I hear the ergo market is swamped with fakes.

TheFantasticFixit Wed 28-Aug-13 00:22:26

Totally echo this ^. I love my ergo - still use it with 22 month old! Definitely recommend

yoshimigalloway Wed 28-Aug-13 00:14:28

i used an ergo and when you have it on correctly the weight is on the hips. my 2year old still easily fits in it and doesn't feel that much heavier than when she was small.

1gglePiggle Wed 28-Aug-13 00:12:12

BB comfort carrier

1gglePiggle Wed 28-Aug-13 00:09:03

There is a baby bjorn sling that puts weight around the hips. I used it for my dd for over 1 year. Can't remember model name but a quick google would find it.

pootlebug Tue 27-Aug-13 22:00:23

Are you near a sling library or sling meet? Different carriers suit different people so it's worth trying something in person rather than just going with recommendations if you can.

www.babywearing.co.uk/localsupport - you put your postcode in to find nearby sling libraries etc.

The different Ergos fit quite differently to each other. And also lots of other buckle options (Manduca, various Beco models, Tula, Boba and many more) plus many non-buckle options....hence why the sling library suggestion.

But you should definitely find something comfier than all the things you have so far. You can put him on your back too as he gets bigger with many of the options available.

MammaCici Tue 27-Aug-13 16:47:20

I have an extra large 4 month old, he's almost 20lbs already. My first baby was also a biggie. First time around I bought babybjorn, mothercare and moby carriers but they all hurt my back and shoulders. I still have them. DH uses the BB. This time I got myself a hippychick hipseat which I love and can wear for hours without back or neck aches. My 4 month old is happy when we use it. However I'd like to free up my arm as I have a toddler to look after too. Not to mention my arm gets very tired and stiff holding baby in place.

Is there any point in getting an ergo or a beco gemini? Does a carrier exist that puts all or most of the weight on the hips like the hipseat does? Does anyone else have experience with large babies and which carriers work.

If I get an ergo, does the model make much difference? I see they do a lightweight travel one now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now