Note: This topic is for discussing slings and backpacks. If you want to buy or sell slings and backpacks, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic. Thanks, MNHQ.

Forgive me for posting for traffic! Baby slings and carriers.

(41 Posts)
floatyflo Fri 23-Aug-13 12:33:43

Hi all, am shamelessly posting here for the traffic grin

Am pregnant with dc2 and would really like to use a sling this time round.

I tried a couple with ds1 but found them to difficult to get the hang of and never felt like he was in securely, safely or comfortably!

After trawling throught the net looking at reviews, articles and YouTube vids, I have narrowed it down to a Moby wrap or a ring sling.
but which of these will be best? And have a I missed any other good slings/carriers?

I am 5ft6 and a 16-18 if that needs to be factored in with any type of sling.
Look forward to hearing your suggestions and experiences.

Thanks!

pootlebug Sat 24-Aug-13 07:05:28

If you want a stretchy wrap, there are better ones out there than the Moby, IMHO. I run a sling library and have half a dozen or so different stretchies....Moby is one of my least favourites.

Hana Baby Wrap and Boba Wrap are stretchier (so easier to use with a small baby) and just as supportive as the Moby so long as you tie nice and tight

Wrapsody and Designed to love you are both one-way stretch like the Moby (the other two above stretch both ways) but thinner, more supportive, and generally nicer feel than the moby

floatyflo Fri 23-Aug-13 22:22:05

Already in the sling topic! And had one reply.

Post here and lots of answers and now a decision has made.

MN flaw! grin

OliviaMMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 23-Aug-13 22:01:45

floatyflo

Hi all, am shamelessly posting here for the traffic grin

Hallo
We've moved this to our sling topic
thanks

Maryz Fri 23-Aug-13 15:28:56

YABU

DangoDays Fri 23-Aug-13 15:25:31

Not like 'money' like the moby!!!!

DangoDays Fri 23-Aug-13 15:24:52

Sleepy wrap for newborn is a lot like money I think in style but a bit more stretchy and a tad cheaper. Then also the Gemini becco for later, cross over on back really supportive. Am keen to get an ergo next time round though as looks like use lasts a lot longer. Wouldn't carry ds 2 1/2 in the becco.

Allegrogirl Fri 23-Aug-13 15:22:59

I'm 5'7" 16-18 and loved the Moby for my DC2. I practiced from Youtube using a teddy. I moved to a Patapum buckle carrier which is similar to an Ergo at about 4-5 months. Nice thing about a wrap sling with a small baby is they are wrapped tight to you so it's easy to bend down and deal with toddler without worrying that baby is going to slide about. I sold it on e-bay for nearly what I paid for it.

Had a hand me down Baby Bjorn with DC1 and only managed it because she was slow to gain weight for the first couple of months. They are easy to use but awful on your back.

DH wouldn't use the Moby but was happy with the Baby Bjorn.

TokenGirl1 Fri 23-Aug-13 15:19:25

I can still carry my 3 and 4 year olds in our ergo. You need a newborn insert for a tiny baby though. We used a chicco baby carrier at first and that was fab, even at 6 months.

We also had a Tomy one and it was awful, never again!

keely79 Fri 23-Aug-13 15:08:00

Oh, meant to add - I'm 5'7" and also 16/18 - and both slings fit well. If your husband has any interest in carrying the baby in the sling as well, you could look into an Ergo Sport (which is what we have) - is slightly more breathable (they can get quite warm!) and better suited for taller people.

keely79 Fri 23-Aug-13 15:03:52

I used a wrapsody bali stretch for my DD - brilliant for newborns as soft and snuggly andyou can tie them so that the baby can lie down - used to have great times with her nestled in there at the baby cinema!

Once she got a bit bigger, the ergo was a good choice. Much better for your back than a baby bjorn - I can still carry DD in it now that she is nearly 4!

FrogsGoWhat Fri 23-Aug-13 15:00:01

https://www.facebook.com/groups/209783279077720/

But yes get to a sling meet/sling library where you can try out what suits you and eat cake grin

There are pros and cons to all slings and what suits one person wont necessarily suit another - and your baby may have preferences as well!

Personally, although a stretchy is easy to get "right" (Although a bit of a faff, and you have to tie them tighter than you think you should - and the moby is a particularly thick one as well) I prefer a ringsling, and still use one regularly now with my 2yo.

Just don't get a babasling type one as they are really difficult to get right with newborns. Ringslings have more of a knack to them. And always follow the TICKS safety advice smile www.schoolofbabywearing.com/Images/TICKS.pdf

ILetHimKeep20Quid Fri 23-Aug-13 13:37:36

Get ye to a sling library!

CSIJanner Fri 23-Aug-13 13:35:00

Affordable slings on FB are good. You could also try zulily for brand new ones at a special price - they occasionally come up.

But yes HandMini - fake ergos are the worse! Floaty try to stay away from ergos on eBay unless they have the receipt, serial no and documentation. HTH

HandMini Fri 23-Aug-13 13:19:18

Oh and yes to fakes. I think I bought a fake Ergo once, through ebay (but supposedly new and came in a genuine looking box with instructions). It was just shitty, straps never quite fitted, always slipped, buckles were clunky. We chucked it. There's a reason you pay £60+ for some slings - they should be very well made and finished, don't use one that you think might be faulty.

wrigglebum Fri 23-Aug-13 13:15:12

As mentioned above, Victoria Slinglady wraps are a fab alternative to a moby if you want to save a bit of cash for a next stage carrier when they get too big for the stretchy (about 6-12 months). But get a second hand moby from the Facebook group and you should make most of your money back anyway.

CSIJanner Fri 23-Aug-13 13:12:28

I've worn both of mine - the first one was a baby bjorn which you'll find some baby wearers referring to as crotch danglers as they don't give enough support to the hips and ligaments. But you'll find a lot of us started out with BB. I currently use a Rose and rebellion full buckle soft structured carrier (this gets abbreviated on the FB pages as R&R FB SSC). I love it but need to move up a size soon.

If you only want the one sling, you can start with a woven wrap and then try either wraps or something like the ergo (FB) which is fine up until the age of 4. You need to be careful though - there are a lot of fakes out there and some wraps can go for stupid amounts of money

floatyflo Fri 23-Aug-13 13:06:51

Def looks like a Moby will be the way to go!

mrstalbear Fri 23-Aug-13 13:04:45

Another moby fan here, very comfortable and easy once you get the hang of it- dd loves it!

I also got a baby bjorn first and it is terrible! After 5 mins it would hurt my neck/ shoulders (talking 9lb baby at the time) and didn't seem to support dd very well either. We can however, walk for miles in the moby.

wrigglebum Fri 23-Aug-13 13:01:14

Stretchy wraps like a moby are brilliant for tiny babies. Once you've tied it a few times it's so easy, you can leave it on and pop baby in and out (or tie before you go in the car and pop baby in when you get to your destination). Good resale values too, and baby can't fall out if you put them in properly.

Baby Bjorns don't offer great support to parent or child, cost a fortune and have a crap resale value. If you like buckles then a Manduca is fab and can be used from birth. Or look into Ergos, Action Baby Carriers or Connectas. Manducas are available at Kiddicare.

Ring slings are great for some people but not for others. I find it ok with my toddler for a quick trip. It's not recommended to do a cradle carry in them though, lookout for TICKS guidelines.

HandMini Fri 23-Aug-13 13:00:23

Ergo was my favourite.

floatyflo Fri 23-Aug-13 12:57:08

Sorry just realised I dont actually know what the fb page is blush

Inbox me details? smile

MrsMook Fri 23-Aug-13 12:56:21

I use a ring sling for popping around (storchenweige). i can also get DS1 in there for a "piggy back".
A moby for longer trips when I alternate DS 1 and 2 with the buggy (DS2 gets wrapped when DS1 is tired of walking or I need to up the pace.
I also have a Stokke My Carrier. Pricey, but it has a baby section on the front and a toddler one for the back. They are supposed to be alternated, but it does work with both attached so I can carry whoever is necessary. It had much more back support than most structured carriers, and the hip postion is better (wider) for a young baby. That's good for longer distances. DH favours that one. They are all going on holiday as it means we can carry a DS each!

peppinagiro Fri 23-Aug-13 12:56:03

My 7 week old lives in the sling - she refuses to go in a pram, moses basket, or pretty much anything else. We have a Manduca, but tbh those structured carriers are really designed for babies a little older who can hold their heads up. You can adapt them for younger babies and use them from newborn, but they're a bit of a fudge, and it really isnt that comfortable for her at the moment so she doesn't really like it. The two we use all the time are stretchy wraps - a Wrapsody and a Victoria Sling lady one. The moby is good but a thicker jersey material which is quite warm so not ideal in summer - those two are a lot thinner cotton. A ring sling is handy as they're cheap and easy to put on, but more suited for just pottering around the house, not really enough support for using on walks and things.

I'd suggest going to a sling library if there's one nearby - they'll let you hire different slings and show you how to use them.

floatyflo Fri 23-Aug-13 12:55:08

Thanks for all your wonderful suggestions!

I will check out that fbook page Nightfall and I do hope I have sling group in my area! What a fab idea.

smile

TarkaTheOtter Fri 23-Aug-13 12:52:52

I started off with a baby bjorn bit found it really uncomfortable once dd was about 3 months. I then tried a moby and it was much more comfortable, but more faff. Eventually I ended up with an ergo which is simple and comfortable (even at 18months).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now