Note: This topic is for discussing slings and backpacks. If you want to buy or sell slings and backpacks, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic. Thanks, MNHQ.

3 weeks sleeps in sling for hours but hates it when awake

(5 Posts)
cogitosum Fri 16-Aug-13 18:52:21

We've got a stretchy wrap for our 3 week old baby and it's proved our best buy and an absolute godsend! Once he's fed if I put him in he's almost guaranteed to sleep within a few minutes (fingers crossed this continues) and it allows me to go out, get the bus etc.

My only concern is he seems to hate it when he's awake. When he first gets in he screams for 30 seconds to a few minutes and then suddenly falls asleep. He often stirs a few times and then settles but once he properly wakes up he screams and thrashes til I get him out.

So far this isn't an issue but I was hoping to continue to use the sling and I'm worried he'll never be comfortable in it awake and obviously he's going to spend more time awake in the coming few months.

Did anyone else have this with their newborn and did they ever settle in it when awake?

AndIFeedEmGunpowder Fri 16-Aug-13 20:13:50

My DD was exactly the same but it was a mei tai rather than a stretchy wrap. Once she started noticing nature, trees etc. she was content to be awake in it for short periods, which got longer and longer. Now I get fed up before she does! smile. Congratulations on your baby.

pootlebug Fri 16-Aug-13 21:22:53

That's pretty normal for many babies I think. They are normally happier awake if you're walking (although with a 3 week old that usually sends them to sleep anyway!). They just get more familiar with being there, and as pp says get more into noticing other stuff going on etc.

pongping Fri 16-Aug-13 21:25:56

My first DS was like this, but he gradually got used to it, and the lengthy naps it induced were fabulous especially when DH was carrying him.

cogitosum Sat 17-Aug-13 10:06:09

Thank you. Good to know it's normal. I was really worried as it's currently the only thing keeping me same! I call it the magic sling! We took the bus to a friend's house yesterday and he was a dream - he slept all the way there and back but as soon as he woke up He screamed the house down which was fine as we were at a friends but Not so great if it happens in town

I'm also worried about travelling to london with him next week to see his dad at work. I think I'll need to take the pram as well which kind of defeats the point but otherwise I don't know what I'll do with him when he's awake!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now