This topic is for discussing slings and backpacks. If you want to buy or sell slings and backpacks, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Best sling for plus size ladies?

(18 Posts)
bsmirched Fri 09-Aug-13 21:42:37

DS2 is due imminently and I've read so many positive comments on here about slings that I'd love to get one.
The thing is, I had a couple of different ones with DS1 and due to being an ample chested size 22 always felt he was a bit buried and suffocated in them!
Are there any wraps that work well for someone like me?

We use a babybjorn and I'm a size 24 JJ cup and have no problems. I've also used a Moby wrap and had no problems with that either.

bsmirched Fri 09-Aug-13 21:47:16

When you say Babybjorn do you mean a sling or carrier? I've got their carrier and have found that fine but do they do slings too?

bsmirched Fri 09-Aug-13 21:47:54

Thank you by the way!

The carrier I think. I just honk of any kind of body holder thing as a sling! Try the Moby wrap, or do you have a sling meet in your area who could help?

Sunnysummer Sat 10-Aug-13 07:21:54

DH is built like a well-upholstered Hulk, and he can wear the moby comfortably as well as the ergobaby sport and performance models (though you'd want to check the hip measurements on those, I'd think, as this could be trickier for pear shapes). I also keep hearing good things about the manduca, though we haven't tried this!

It can be hard to go to a sling meet while pregnant, as none of them will for properly anyway, so I'd be tempted to get the moby for the snugly newborn stage and then go to a meet to try out the structured carriers after the birth. Alternatively, it is possible to find the measurements online for most of the structured carriers, and a lot of online places offer full refunds if needed. (With Ergos at least you do need to be careful about counterfeits, btw!)

Sunnysummer Sat 10-Aug-13 07:23:07

Also - the babybjorn works well for a few, but maybe have a look at some of the previous threads on here if you are keen. They offer a lot less back support for you and hip support for the baby, so some people are extremely anti!

Interesting thread op, i'm due in Jan and thinking of using a sling part of the week to avoid using a double pram as my 3yo is at nursery part of the day but too lazy to walk all the time and i'm also plus size (18), & was wondering the exact same thing.

bsmirched Sat 10-Aug-13 07:26:34

Thanks everyone!

chocolatemartini Sat 10-Aug-13 07:28:03

I'd look at the Tula, our toddler one has an ample waist, and is also very adjustable in the straps. We bought it because I'm skinny (when not pg) and DH is big round the waist so we wanted something that would fit us both. Beth at lovetobenatural was very helpful with measurements before we bought it.

cupcake78 Sat 10-Aug-13 07:29:53

Caboo/closer sling is good. Lots of material ideal for a larger frame.

bsmirched Sat 10-Aug-13 08:17:29

It's not so much the fitting around me that is the problem as I know from the measurements whether they'll be ok or not. It's more that when DS1 was in the ones I had he seemed to disappear inside as my boobs pushed the sling closed IYSWIM! Probably not explaining myself very well, sorry!!

pootlebug Sat 10-Aug-13 10:47:55

It could be that you had DS1 too low down. The baby's head should sit just under your chin, above your boobs. So the baby shouldn't be too squahsed into your boobs iyswim.

bsmirched Sat 10-Aug-13 11:22:34

Ok thanks! Just looked at a video of the Moby in action and that looks good!

CruCru Wed 14-Aug-13 18:38:27

The Ergo has a waist extender that you can buy separately. Not sure if that is what you are looking for.

I second pp you are wearing the sling too low if the baby is in your cleavage grin

FlatsInDagenham Wed 14-Aug-13 18:44:33

Ring slings are great - really versatile, can do loads of different carries (front, hip, back) and totally adjustable to the size of mum and baby. Go for a longer length one if you're at all worried.

mrsmartin1984 Wed 14-Aug-13 22:14:52

I am about the same size and use either an ergo or a close caboo. I prefer the caboo. Tried a ring sling but hated it. I was uncomfortable to wear because of my size

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now