Note: This topic is for discussing slings and backpacks. If you want to buy or sell slings and backpacks, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic. Thanks, MNHQ.

The BabyBjörn - Yes or No?!

(30 Posts)
alice93 Sun 28-Jul-13 12:06:58

I have been hearing so many negatives about the BabyBjörn since joining this.
I'm still a way off my due date for my first child, but I had always been keen on getting a babybjorn. I used one whilst au-pairing, although i didn't use it much.
What are the bad points about it? I know people recommend getting a cloth woven one but my boyfriend will refuse to wear that!!

Jenijena Thu 01-Aug-13 21:30:19

Ergo is great, much comfier for wearer and wearee, and more options

soapnuts Thu 01-Aug-13 21:40:02

Ergo every time - I had both for DS1 - Bjorn lasted 10 mins it was so painful - was still using ergo when DS was 3 - only stopped cos i got pregnant again and now used constantly for DS2 - it's used more than the buggy to be honest. the other thing about the facing out position,apart from the physical problems is that it's supposed to be bad for them emotionally too - something about it being too stimulating and they cant turn away from the stimulation. of course babies are all different but neither of my kids have ever complained about facing in - they can see out both sides and it's a much more natural position - like a big hug - with the bonus of having hands free! DS2 often wakes from a nap and happily watches out the sides from under the sleep hood until i realise he's awake - he loves watching the world while still being tucked away from it..... oh and DH wears the ergo happily - especially on the back when i let him!

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

peanutMD Wed 07-Aug-13 23:25:22

I tried a BabyBjorn once with my son, he screamed and my back hurt so I gave up after that.

Now with my 5 month old i'm much more informed so decided to give it another go, when she was 8 Weeks I contacted my local sling library and borrowed a wrap which my daughter wasn't to keen in as she gets really hot and doesn't like being restricted so I got done advice and hired out a full buckle carrier (the Connecta Solarweave) i've since bought one that we use alongside our pram. I love it!

I would like to try a Mai Tai too as they seen the best of both works but can't really justify it lol

catkind Wed 07-Aug-13 23:37:28

My DH loved wearing a moby wrap - that's a stretchy cotton wrap that's great for newborns, and the wrap is v easy to learn. He got lots of admiring glances whenever he went out with it! Or he thinks he did, I didn't like to tell him everyone was looking at DD wink
In terms of buckle carriers, we loved our Ergo, tho I've heard there are now better things on the market - Manduca comes to mind, they're a bit more adjustable so work from newborn and last longer than an Ergo. If you have a sling meet nearby it's definitely worth taking a look at some of the options, there's loads of great slings out there!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now