This topic is for discussing slings and backpacks. If you want to buy or sell slings and backpacks, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

manduca, ergo or boba 3g? Help please!

(23 Posts)
addictedtocaffeine Sat 27-Jul-13 22:23:31

Hello, I currently use a close carrier for my 3 month old baby but I find it can be a bit uncomfortable around my shoulders if i'm carrying him for more than an hour or so and I am keen to get a SSC. I don't live near a place I can attend a sling meet so am having to do a lot of research online and then finally make my decision....hopefully the correct one!

DH is about 6 feet and medium build, I am 5'7" and size 14/16. We would both want to use the carrier, but realistically it would probably be me who uses it the most. I liked the look of the manduca, but wondered if the straps would feel stiff and bulky? The ergo always seems to have pretty good reviews but am wary due to all the fakes in circulation these days. And finally the boba 3g looks to tick a lot of the boxes, but I read something about it suiting older children more than a 3 month old baby? Is this correct or are others out there using the boba 3 g with a 3 month old? Any issues?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

changechangechange Sun 28-Jul-13 10:46:41

I really love my Manduca. Can't speak for the Boba 3g although I've only heard good things about it.

I like that you can cross the straps when using it to front carry (as well as reverse-rucksack style). I like that it has the zip back extender which when DS was smaller was nice when he fell asleep (although there's also the traditional sleep hood) and now he's older makes it a better fit. It doesn't feel at all stiff or bulky to me - it is one of the bulkier SSCs, but tbh initially all SSCs feel/look a bit bulky at first when you're used to stretchy ime, and after 12mths or so I've been grateful for the extra support of Manduca vs lighter SSCs I've tried (Connecta, R&R).

I would avoid the Ergo - I know lots of people love it but the panel measures quite small, I think, compared to the other two, so your DC would outgrow it sooner.

Depending on DC's size he may be at an awkward age for the Manduca - too big for the insert but too small to go without. I started using it (without insert) at 16 weeks - can't remember DS' weight but he was 75th centile. I don't think mine would have fitted in it before 14 weeks at earliest. This is likely to be the same problem with Ergo and Boba I think, although it's quite probable the exact sizes vary.

KnittedWaffle Sun 28-Jul-13 10:49:55

I've used my Boba 3G since DS2 was born and I love it.
He was average size when born but is on the 98th centile now (6 months) and it's still very comfy to carry him.
It's also the only baby carrier I've managed to BF in, even while walking around (did it in town and no one noticed, not even the friend I was with! smile )

addictedtocaffeine Sun 28-Jul-13 11:04:42

Thanks, DS is 15 weeks now and is on 50th centile for weight but 91st for length, he is due to be weighed again in a couple of weeks, at last weight in he was 13lb 5oz. I really like the look of both the manduca and the boba 3g, just need to make up my mind!
I read something about the straps of boba 3g digging in at armpit, knitted waffle-have you had any issues with this?
And this may seem like a daft question, but can you sit down when using these carriers in a front carry, like if going on a bus etc? Is it comfortable?

noblegiraffe Sun 28-Jul-13 11:08:35

My six month old DD is still too small for the Ergo. I've got a newborn insert but it would be like wrapping her in a duvet in this weather.

changechangechange Sun 28-Jul-13 14:58:34

I'm sitting on a bus right now with sleeping child on my front in Manduca. smile

addictedtocaffeine Sun 28-Jul-13 16:50:02

Ok cool, I just had visions of my post pregnancy tummy bulging over the waist belt and being uncomfortable!! grin I must get back to the gym, but that's an entirely different issue altogether! I'm still undecided as to what one to go for, will need to make up my mind soon though...

KnittedWaffle Sun 28-Jul-13 18:45:36

I did have an issue with it digging in under my armpits when i wore just a vest but found that it was because I hadn't adjusted it enough after I'd lost weight and DS had grown massively!
There is a small buckle which holds the straps together at the back of your neck which can be adjusted up and down. Moving this and tightening the bottom strap solved it.

I often take DS on the bus/train in it as I don't have a car and because of the way the legs are positioned it isn't a problem.

As for the post partum tummy - it's designed to provide a lovely squashy cushion to hold baby in place! wink
And actually, having the carrier has helped the weight drop off this time.

UnderwaterBasketWeaving Sun 28-Jul-13 18:57:16

I have an Ergo and its been ideal for us. We've used it for 2 years now, DS is nearly 2.5yrs.

It is short in the body (but so is DS!) but it has a pocket on the front that I can keep a disposable nappy, sandwich bag of wipes and a few snacks (and little sticker books) in so we can pop out at a moments notice without a separate bag.

This has been the key point for me.

Although as previous posters have said, it would be hot with the infant insert at the moment. If I had a tiddler now I'd have a lightweight wrap, I think Calin Bleu make a mesh one?

addictedtocaffeine Sun 28-Jul-13 19:42:32

Oooh good point about some storage, does the manduca or boba 3g have pockets?
What do you guys do about change mats, nappies, wipes etc?

changechangechange Sun 28-Jul-13 20:52:41

No pockets on the Manduca. I carry a bag (full size nappy bag if out for the day, small handbag if just popping out for a few hours, or just keys and card in pocket if only buying groceries etc) - I always carried a bag before I was carrying a baby so doesn't seem any more effort to keep carrying one iyswim.

UnderwaterBasketWeaving Sun 28-Jul-13 20:54:45

See, I've never been the handbag type, so I found the ergo quite liberating!

If we were going farther afield I'd take a bit more in a small shoulder bag if I had him on my back, or a rucksack if I was carrying him on my front.

Liara Sun 28-Jul-13 20:54:52

I've had an ergo and a Beco Gemini, and I would say the Beco is clearly superior.

It can be turned into something like a baby bjorn too, which the babies love, even though you should not do it too often.

mamapants Sun 28-Jul-13 21:04:57

I love my ergo. Used it since DS was about a month old. Used it without insert from 4months. Only just started using it on the back now that DS is one.
It was the only way I could get DS to sleep when he was little so it was a lifesaver.
It is really easy to use. I'm 5'1 and DP is 6ft and we both use it with minimal faff.
I've never heard it being too small I have friends who use it with 3-4 year olds.

addictedtocaffeine Mon 29-Jul-13 08:53:10

Thanks for all the replies! Although now I feel even more undecided-it seems there are positives for all 3 of the carriers I have asked about, I think I'll just have to pick one, order it and return it if it doesn't suit me. I like the designs of the boba so at present am leaning towards that...will no doubt have changed my mind by the time I finish typing this though!!

UnderwaterBasketWeaving Tue 30-Jul-13 17:08:37

Is there a sling library near you? You'd do we'll to try a bunch out before you commit.

changechangechange Tue 30-Jul-13 19:50:46

I think some libraries do postal loans, although I don't know which ones I'm afraid...

quertas Tue 30-Jul-13 19:59:48

A shout out for the ergo from me. They're fab, lightweight, comfortable and, when I lost the chest strap from mine Ergo mailed me a free replacement from Germany. I love good customer service like that! [Smile]

Munxx Tue 30-Jul-13 20:14:49

Another vote for the Ergo. It's so simple to use!

Are you on FB? Check out the FSOT Slings and Things page (closed groups but an admin will approve in a day or so). There are so many lovely ladies on there who can help. When you HAVE decided, again there will be lots of helpful people pointing the way to genuine slings and sellers (there are lots of fake Ergos about but I got a genuine one for £55 on this page).

But once you have got what you need leave the page (as another wise Mnetter said to me) or you WILL end up spending a fortune of just "one more sling...."

Good luck!

LlamaLover Wed 31-Jul-13 22:27:02

For a baby that age I'd recommend a Beco Gemini (sorry to throw something else into the mix!). It would last until little one was about a year old. Google postal sling library - a few about!

AmandaPandtheTantrumofDoom Wed 31-Jul-13 22:31:14

I vote Manduca.Mostly for the ability to cross the straps in a front carry instead of having to do reverse rucksack.

LlamaLover Wed 31-Jul-13 22:35:19

Manduca, Beco Gemini and Ergo you could cross straps.

Boba 3G you can't.

addictedtocaffeine Mon 12-Aug-13 15:24:01

Hi again, just to say I ended up getting a manduca and I love it! thanks again for all the advice smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now