Note: This topic is for discussing slings and backpacks. If you want to buy or sell slings and backpacks, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic. Thanks, MNHQ.

Ergo or Beco Gemini

(11 Posts)
Romily Tue 23-Jul-13 14:40:43

Both the Ergo and the Beco Gemini have been recommended to us by friends and I wondered which one to go for? We are planning on using a stretchy wrap for the first few months so it they would be used a few months down the line.

AmandaPandtheTantrumofDoom Tue 23-Jul-13 14:48:13

I don't know masses about them, but have friends who love their Ergo.

I have a Manducca because I liked that you could cross the straps at the back (rather than use the clip), which I found more secure and easier when DD2 was small and in a front carry. I also liked the integrated newborn insert - I had a wrap too but no way was DH likely to use it - and the fact that the body extends to make it longer for a toddler.

Sorry, that's maybe not much help!

changechangechange Tue 23-Jul-13 16:09:49

I also love the Manduca, for the same reasons as Amanda.

A lot of it's personal preference, though. Since you'll be starting with the stretchy, maybe pop to a sling meet once DC gets to 4ish months and try them both? You might even find by then that you'd rather move onto a woven wrap instead, or a different SSC.

AmandaPandtheTantrumofDoom Tue 23-Jul-13 16:21:49

For me, I had a woven wrap from the start and used it up to about 1. Once DD2 was bigger I found that the Manduca took the weight better. A wrap distributed it well across my back, but the Manduca could shift it right onto my hips. Plus I never got the hang of a back carry with the woven

I second the recommendation of a sling meet or library. I thought I would want an ergo until I tried the Manduca.

changechangechange Tue 23-Jul-13 19:20:24

Ha, I found the opposite - from about 6-12m I preferred the manduca, but whilst I still still love it and use it a lot, I've loved wovens a little bit more since then.

MollyNollyNoo Thu 25-Jul-13 20:43:16

I had an Ergo to begin with, it was lovely, DS was in the baby insert over the winter so that was fine. The pocket on the front was very useful for keys etc. All the time I had my baby weight the sling fitted fine, but tbh I lost a good 2 stone or more and then it started to fall off the shoulders, I'm not sure how the Becco is shaped on the shoulders but it could be worth a go if you are slight on the shoulders.

I tried a manduca on and though the shape was lovely, I just preferred the patterns available in the ergo, or, another one that is very similar in shape to the ergo but shaped differently on the shoulders is the Tula.

Romily Sat 27-Jul-13 10:25:31

Thank you all for the advice! I had not heard of the Manduca before so I am going to investigate it too. A good friend has raved about the Gemini which was why I had shortlisted it and the Ergo was mentioned a lot on here.

There are just so many to choose from!

noblegiraffe Sat 27-Jul-13 10:31:45

I've got an ergo, at 6 months DD is still too small for it, but too big (and hot) for the newborn insert. I'm a bit annoyed as it cost a lot.

Romily Sun 25-Aug-13 23:05:50

Just a wee update! The decision was made for me when I was treated to a Becco Gemini as a surprise grin

hettienne Sun 25-Aug-13 23:08:29

Maybe sell it and try another carrier noble? I had a Beco I used from birth, and an R&R that I used from less than 6 months with no problems.

SweetTeaVodka Tue 27-Aug-13 07:56:51

Noble, instead of using the whole insert you can use the cushion bottom part or a folded up blanket under baby's bum to get a better fitsmile smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now