This topic is for discussing slings and backpacks. If you want to buy or sell slings and backpacks, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Lighter stretchy wrap sling than Moby?

(14 Posts)
Thirstysomething Mon 01-Jul-13 11:40:06

Hi, sorry, I am sure the information is out there on this forum, but I am rushing around like mad thing - could anyone help on this?
I had a Moby wrap for DC1, which I also used for dc2, but was fed up with by the time no 3 came along - it was just too heavy/bulky to carry around, roll up etc. Also too thick in the summer?
Now dc4 is on the way and I saw someone in the street wearing what looked like a Moby wrap but much thinner and lighter.
I looked online, but there are about a million different types now and I can't tell!
Please can someone tell me the best stretchy wrap that isn't as heavy or cumbersome as the Moby? Preferably not hugely expensive either...

evelynj Mon 01-Jul-13 11:58:01

If you google homemade moby wrap then I think it basically tells you that you can buy 6 yards odd of jersey fabric, cut it in 2 or 3 long ways & have 2-3 wraps. I guess it depends on the fabric you find but if you know how to wrap it already should be a cinch!

pootlebug Mon 01-Jul-13 14:33:35

The Hana Baby Wrap is my favourite - way thinner and lighter than a Moby yet feels more supportive too. It's stretchier than the Moby so you have to tie tighter.

KelleStar Tue 02-Jul-13 17:00:09

Victoria Sling Lady [VSL] does some lovely stretchy but thin wraps.

jaggythistle Tue 02-Jul-13 21:25:44

I have a summer weight VSL sling and it its basically light t shirt material and v comfy.

Thirstysomething Wed 03-Jul-13 16:12:29

thanks!! not sure I will get to a fabric shop in the few weeks till birth, so will look at the VSL ones now. I found one on eBay, but it was woven, not stretchy, and I don't know what difference that would make?

Thirstysomething Wed 03-Jul-13 17:24:47

Hoping to only spend about £20, so Hana is out unless I find one on preloved. Have found a Sleepy/Boba wrap second hand, but is same price as new VSL.

kellestar Wed 03-Jul-13 17:29:19

The wovens tend to be more firm and don't have lots of stretch in them, great for when they get older. The stretchy is good when little as it hugs them, but does go sloppy as they get heavier. So depending on the size of your squish you may get more use out of a woven. They are a great starting point and it's very addictive once you learn the wraps.

I borrowed a solarweave connecta from our sling library. It's so thin and light and packs down small. It's a full buckle soft structured carrier but so much comfier than a baby Bjorn.

Thirstysomething Wed 03-Jul-13 17:39:27

will take a look, thanks!

pootlebug Wed 03-Jul-13 22:35:43

If you've found a Sleepy/Boba wrap at VSL prices I'd go for that.

Sconset Wed 03-Jul-13 22:38:57

Kari-me? Ours was great!

Thirstysomething Sun 21-Jul-13 14:41:48

Missed the Boba wrap, but have bought a v pretty VSL one and looking forward to trying it out - due this week!

LlamaLover Wed 31-Jul-13 22:33:51

Hana Baby wrap is what you want. Like a Moby, except made from bamboo, so really light feeling but still as supportive. Very popular with sling libraries around the country.

If your budget is £20 you probably won't get one second hand, you'd probably have to spend around £30 for a second hand one.

For £20 you'ld get second hand Moby, Kari Me etc or a new Victoria Sling Lady. Moby and Kari Me are about the same density. Victoria SlingLady too, but they are narrower, so would only suit up to about 3 months old ish, compared to 6-9 months ish for a Moby or Kari Me.

Splinters Sun 04-Aug-13 14:20:51

I've been using a VSL stretchy wrap which cost me £20 inc p&p off the VSL ebay page. It was fabulous until about 4.5 months but we can hardly use it at all now (5.5 months).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now