Note: This topic is for discussing slings and backpacks. If you want to buy or sell slings and backpacks, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic. Thanks, MNHQ.

Hippychick hipseat?

(24 Posts)
AliBingo Mon 01-Jul-13 16:22:06

Still haven't decided whether to buy one but tempted to nip into TK Maxx and have a look.

Lack of hips no issue for me unfortunately - majorly pear-shaped!

Thirstysomething Mon 01-Jul-13 11:34:26

PS I have no hips (trousers always falling down!), but had no problems with it, just tightened belt to really tight?

Thirstysomething Mon 01-Jul-13 11:32:57

They are brilliant and I loved mine when I did use it because ds built like a brick, BUT - I don't think I used it enough because if I was just picking him up for a quick cuddle, it didn't seem worth going to get from the hall, and it wasn't enough for a long walk/shops/hour around the kitchen because you still have to use an arm to hold the baby to you.
Having read this thread, I have just looked at the Scootababy for dc4, which seems to be a good idea - a hipseat with a sling.

AsukiBlue Sat 29-Jun-13 16:08:33

Just wanted to say, I saw these in tk maxx today for £14.99, not so upsetting if it doesn't work out!

gintastic Thu 27-Jun-13 10:42:52

Didn't work for me as I have no hips :-( or bum. But very broad shoulder and big boobs. Basically a sort of carrot shape...

Have heard good things from a friend of mine who has hips smile

Bluecarrot Thu 27-Jun-13 10:36:27

I had one 10 years ago and both dd and I preferred her in the sling. Plus the sling was easier to pack and store in a handbag.

Hasitfallendownagain Thu 27-Jun-13 10:30:42

I used it for quite a while with my first, as didn't walk until nearly 20 months.
Hardly at all with second who walked earlier, though did find it very handy when we were flying once (and had put the buggy in the hold) to get through the airport. Only good for short journeys I would say, and I found it made my arm ache a lot.

DH didn't like it, preferred to just carry without it, but he tends to carry children on his front rather than hip. Perhaps because he is a man and has no hips.

Tweet2tweet Thu 27-Jun-13 10:09:34

I love mine. Check gumtree as well as ebay for bargain if you don't mind used.

idlevice Mon 17-Jun-13 13:21:32

You will probably find one on ebay if you don't mind pre-loved. I had one with a strap so you could be hands-free. I also then had a Scootababy which is more structured but also enables you to be hands-free.

flakjacket Mon 17-Jun-13 13:18:18

No Poledra grin my Dh is skeletal - he has a waist measurement of 28" ffs! envy I always had to adjust it to its maximum girth for me blush...

I loved it. DH loved it. You do feel a bit of a tit when you don't have a child on it though as it looks like a giant bum bag grin

chartreuse Mon 17-Jun-13 13:11:45

I loved ours. I used it going in and out of school with older dc. No faffing around with buggies or carriers. Highly recommended!

41notTrendy Mon 17-Jun-13 13:09:22

I loved ours. Was great on the short walk back from the park. Easy to get on too. DH used it no prob.

I had one for a while.

It was very useful but I'm only 5'2" so found my boobs rested on the waist band. Not a good look

Poledra Mon 17-Jun-13 13:03:12

Oi, flak, are you calling my bloke fat? angry winkgrin

AliBingo Mon 17-Jun-13 13:02:31

Thanks I think I might order one.

They seem to have an old design version and a new design, argh.

peggotty Mon 17-Jun-13 13:02:05

Got one. Barely used it. But I have no hips. And I felt stupid with it on anyway.

flakjacket Mon 17-Jun-13 13:00:58

Oh and it clips on really quickly, so not a problem for taking on and off when driving the car (unless they've changed the design - my experience is several years old).

flakjacket Mon 17-Jun-13 12:59:54

Both DH and I used it with great success (Dh is very slim so his waist is probly smaller than his hips!). Great for short trips and also as they get older to take on walks for when they get fed up walking.

Try ebay or your local nearly new sale for a second hand one.

Poledra Mon 17-Jun-13 12:57:06

Trying to remember - I think I used to leave it on in the car. I used it on my right hip, so it was not in the way for the seatbelt, or for changing gear etc.

chocolatemartini Mon 17-Jun-13 11:46:57

I had one for a while. Definitely good for 10-15 minute carries and same as others, didn't work on dh as his tummy's bigger than his hips!

AliBingo Mon 17-Jun-13 11:42:04

Thanks for the recommendation. When you were using it a lot when in and out the car a lot, would you leave it on while driving or does it get in the way?

Yeah I wondered if it would be no good for DH cos of his lack of hips.

Poledra Mon 17-Jun-13 11:28:39

I had one - loved it! Used to use it when collecting the DCs from the childminder (10 min walk away) or when doing things that involved being in and out the car a lot - saved putting up and taking down a buggy. I did have it for all 3 DCs, and passed it onto a friend when I was finished with it.

DH did not like it - it slipped down as he doesn't have the hips to hold it up! And a friend's DH didn't use theirs either, as he had the same problem.

AliBingo Mon 17-Jun-13 11:22:33

Has anyone got one of these? Any good or seldom-used? I keep thinking it would come in handy but seems like an awful lot of money if I don't end up using it... (DD is 10 months.)

Oh, and would it be any use for a man to use or would it not sit right?

Thanks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now