This topic is for discussing slings and backpacks. If you want to buy or sell slings and backpacks, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

recommendations for a colourful sling please!

(7 Posts)
GrottyPotPlant Mon 24-Jun-13 22:50:51

I use and love a Kari Me stretchy wrap. They come in bright colours, but not patterns or stripes. Very cosy and snugly, and not madly hot. Lovely with a tiny cuddly baby!

flopsybunny45 Thu 13-Jun-13 19:41:40

Thanks guys - really excited about finding the right one!! x

You know when you see people with the rainbow coloured stripey wraps? Those are wovens wraps. They take a bit of expertise to use.

A stretchy wrap is a better option for a beginner user with a new born. I used a Moby, I've just checked out their website and it's probably a stretch to find a colourful one. I'd still recommend them, and if you get on with it and become comfortable you could "graduate" to a woven.

Or a mei tai, this is what I used when I wanted to move dd onto my back. Tons and tons of choice in brands and colours there - I have a Baby Hawk in a beautiful cherry red with a contrast panel in a cream and black flowered fabric.

ghosteditor Wed 12-Jun-13 16:55:44

I don't know where to start! There's a whole world of baby carriers out there beyond typical high street carriers. I won't own up to how many slings I own but I've tried more than 30 grin.

Woven wraps come in all colours, fabrics, and sizes. Look at Oscha, Diva Milano, Natibaby and Kokadi for some beautiful fabrics and designs. Lenny Lamb bamboo/cotton blends are a very soft supportive budget option. Don't forget that you can resell slings close to purchase price once you're done smile.

Soft structured carrier wise, I love my Connecta but there's a whole world out there. Look at somewhere like Love to be Natural for a good range.

Good luck! I hardly ever use our pram and lots of families are entirely pram free. Carriers can be a lot more beautiful and comfortable than baby Bjorns wink

flopsybunny45 Wed 12-Jun-13 16:43:09

Thanks pootlebug... will being having a look at those now, I'm a big fan of 'soft' so this would cover what I am looking for. I also like the way slings seem to keep baby nice and close, whereas carriers don't look quite as cosy!! :-)

pootlebug Wed 12-Jun-13 12:12:37

When you say material-based, do you mean like a woven wrap, or it can have some structure to it so long as it is soft?

If you can cope with learning to use a woven wrap, a size 6 will be a bit long but still fit you, and hopefully your husband too if he's 6ft1 and on the thinner side (if he's big build it might be too short though). If you like bright, have a look at Girasol, Kokadi, Little Frog, Neobulle.....lots of brands to be honest.

Or else a mei tai could be a good bet - because it has long straps it is easy to make it fit parents of different sizes. Look at the Hop Tye, Neobulle Evolubulle and Girasol MySol - all made from woven wrap fabric, and adjustable so fit from newborn to much bigger.

flopsybunny45 Wed 12-Jun-13 08:30:30

Hi there -

I'm very new to the baby world and there seems to be sooooo many different types of sling out there. I would really appreciate some advice on which brand/style to purchase. Main requirements:

- one which will fit mainly me (5ft3) but also hubby if poss (6ft1)
- a material-based sling rather than a structured carrier
- suitable from birth
- colourful and bright!

Thanks in advance :-)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now