This topic is for discussing slings and backpacks. If you want to buy or sell slings and backpacks, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Toddler carrying suggestions please

(14 Posts)
chocolatemartini Thu 06-Jun-13 08:48:45

Yes I am near various sling meets and a sling library. I never get round to going, I know I should! I'd love to learn to use my woven wrap in more ways too.

pootlebug Thu 06-Jun-13 01:18:55

I've carried a large nearly-4-year-old in a RS. For significant distances I prefer a two shoulder carrier but they can be good for quicker ups and downs. There is a knack to getting them right though - and if you don't they're not comfy at all. I'd recommend one made from a woven wrap for support. Are you near a sling library or meet where you could try one, and/or have someone show you how to use one properly?

chocolatemartini Wed 05-Jun-13 21:29:15

May still need something else though. Bit tempted to try a rs but should prob borrow one first. Anyone here carried a large 1 yo in one?

chocolatemartini Wed 05-Jun-13 21:28:18

Dh has ordered the Neobulle grin

VinegarDrinker Wed 05-Jun-13 19:53:07

Connectas do fold up tiny but personally I don't find the waistband wide or supportive enough. We use ours for short carries only. I do know people who adore theirs, I suspect it may depend on your body shape.

chocolatemartini Wed 05-Jun-13 19:51:12

Thanks will look at connectas now...

CelticPromise Wed 05-Jun-13 19:24:14

Connectas fold very small and I've heard good things about them. I have a toddler ABC and I'm very happy with it, might not go small enough for you though. I can fit it in a big shoulder bag with nappies, change of clothes and packed lunch.

llamallama Wed 05-Jun-13 19:19:17

A connecta (in toddler size) specifically a solar weave connecta as there is hardly any padding and it folds up really small but is still lovely and comfortable!

VinegarDrinker Wed 05-Jun-13 19:11:31

The Manduca folds pretty small for a SSC and has an adjustable back length as they grow.

chocolatemartini Wed 05-Jun-13 19:09:35

How much padding does the toddler hawk have? Must admit I'm a bit in love with the Neobulle it looks so comfy and is massively adjustable which would be handy if I have any more dcs smile

CMOTDibbler Wed 05-Jun-13 18:38:32

I had a toddlerhawk, then a dreamcarrier half buckle when he was really big

chocolatemartini Wed 05-Jun-13 18:30:21

Which mt did you use? Looking for one that's not too padded because it will be in my bag at least 50% of the time and padding makes them stiffer to fold and bulkier.

CMOTDibbler Wed 05-Jun-13 18:26:39

For an 18mo, a MT is great as the weight is distribtuted so well. But it does take a couple of minutes to put on which isn't ideal if they are up and down - you don't have to carry it when not in use though as you can just tighten it to you.

I used a ring sling when ds was under a year, and then when he was 3 if I just needed it to support cuddles rather than so much carrying. But the rest of the time it was MT all the way

chocolatemartini Wed 05-Jun-13 18:20:28

I'm looking for a new sling for my 18 mo.

I'd like something that's easy & quick to use, and small when folded so I can carry it in my bag/ buggy when not in use.

Considering the toddler Tula but I think it's a bit bulky to fit in my bag

Have considered a ring sling but have never used one so can't imagine it being comfy taking all DS's weight on one shoulder with none of it on my hips. I like how small they fold though

Ditto short wrap

Love the Neobulle meitai but a bit concerned this will take too long to get him in and out of

Any suggestions?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now