This topic is for discussing slings and backpacks. If you want to buy or sell slings and backpacks, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Connecta or Manduca?

(8 Posts)
peanutMD Sun 02-Jun-13 09:59:05

I've borrowed the Connecta from my local sling library and love it but thinking of trying a Manduca too just for comparison before buying.

Anyone got a preference between these?

pootlebug Sun 02-Jun-13 22:39:15

Depends partly on age of baby. If you want to use it from newborn I'd say Connecta, if your baby is already 5-6 months + I'd say Manduca as I think it lasts longer. They feel quite different though - the Manduca is much more structured in feel. Both are very good carriers....

peanutMD Mon 03-Jun-13 11:21:40

Thanks smile

my daughter is 13 Weeks and rather tiny.

She seems happy in the Connecta but one of my concerns is that I've read it didn't really last past 9 months.

On the flip side I'm put off the Manduca as it looks very similar to high street carriers with so much structure but I've heard nothing but good things.

pootlebug Mon 03-Jun-13 13:52:33

The Manduca is a million miles away from high street carriers if you're thinking Bjorn and similar.

But it isn't perfect for a 13 week old. It has a newborn insert but from around 2.5-4.5 months many babies are too big for the insert but too small for the main carrier.

That said, Connectas hold their value well, especially if you buy 2nd hand....so you could buy one and if you find it doesn't last so long could re-sell and buy something else. I would say that the Connecta is better from 2-6 months, and the Manduca better from 12-18 months plus. For 6 to 12-18 months it is personal preference really.

melliebobs Thu 06-Jun-13 09:02:41

Just posting here cos looking into a connecta for my dd who's 15 months. I tried her in the connecta integra and she still fits in it fine with room to spare. But they also do a toddler size if your worried about it not lasting smile

monstergoose Thu 06-Jun-13 23:08:18

I love my manduca! My dd is 15wks and although quite petite fits really nicely in it. I got it when she was 11wks so we didn't use the newborn bit in it, just went straight to legs out. It's really comfy, I barely feel her weight in it, especially if I cross the straps over at the back. For short trips into shops and back in the car I don't dross the straps and keep them fastened so it's really quick to skip her in and out. I've even managed to bf in it, did it today at tesco checkout and dont think the checkout lady even realised! I don't think the hip carry is useful though, bit of a fad to strap in but apart from that it's great

Wrigglebum Sat 08-Jun-13 07:33:36

I have both, have had them since DS was about 3mo. The Connecta is easier to pack up into a bag (I have a solarweave one, it packs up really tiny) and possibly more comfortable on the front. The Manduca is perhaps better on the back and when they are bigger.

Both have great resale value. The connecta comes in some prettier fabrics but the look of the Manduca is quite DH friendly. I found connecta easier to bf in.

It depends really if you want the weight around your waist or your hips. I found I had to have the connecta really tight round my waist or it pulled strangely on my back muscles.

EricNorthmanIsMyMaker Fri 28-Jun-13 20:51:19

I've had a Manduca since ds2 was a few weeks old & I love it. He's a chunky thing but used the insert for longer than the weight suggested as he wasn't quite big enough for legs out without it.
Its great for bfeeding in too as you can just loosen the straps to drop baby down to boob level.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now