Note: This topic is for discussing slings and backpacks. If you want to buy or sell slings and backpacks, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic. Thanks, MNHQ.

Positioning 11wo in wrap sling

(7 Posts)
Splinters Tue 14-May-13 16:00:17

I have a Victoria Slinglady wrap which dd and I both love. Almost all the time she spends in it, she's asleep and apparently perfectly comfortable, but I get slightly worried by the lolling position her head's in. I roll up a scarf and stick it in the top as a little pillow for her, but there doesn't seem to be anything I can do to stop her lolling, and when I'm walking I often feel like I really need to be supporting her head with my hand. Does anyone else have any experience/advice?

nextphase Tue 14-May-13 21:35:21

Her head should be supported in the shoulder strap? How are you positioning her? I'd still have her in a newborn wrap at that age.
Also, is the sling tight enough? I got a sling lady sling after my previous wrap gave up the ghost, and it loosened while I was carrying -I sometimes had to retie. They seem to stretch more than the expensive wraps?

pootlebug Tue 14-May-13 22:07:53

FWIW I'd have her legs out rather than in the 'hug hold'. I think most sling consultants now advocate legs-out from birth as being better for their hip position.

I would make sure the sling is tight enough - the most common thing people do 'wrong' with stretchy wraps is to have them too loose and too low. If you support her head and lean forward she shouldn't move away from you as you lean down. You can also tuck the back of her head under one of the cross pieces.

ghosteditor Tue 14-May-13 22:13:52

Great that you're getting on with the sling - I still use slings for my strapping 16 month old smile

I remember this problem. If you can wrap high and tight (tug the top rail as you're fastening/adjusting) it should improve. You can roll a muslin into the rail of the sling behind her neck as a little support, and if the baby is high then usually her head will flop onto your chest rather than backward. You can use the support passes to help with head support too.

Stretchies do give as you walk and you may find a woven more supportive in the long run. Good luck!

Splinters Wed 15-May-13 13:12:50

Thanks all. She's in the position shown on nextphase's link but feet out. Thing is, she just doesn't want her head in the shoulder strap! She's incredibly energetic when awake, doesn't want her head in there because she wants to see out, and when she's asleep it's very difficult to work her back in again. Top of her head is as high as it can be without her hitting my chin, but she'd rather loll back or burrow into my boob than put her cheek against my chest..

Splinters Wed 15-May-13 13:14:01

Yep she's just wiggled her head out again even though she's asleep!

changechangechange Wed 15-May-13 18:32:21

No advice but sympathies - mine never let me tuck the wrap over his head no matter how deeply he seemed to be sleeping! Many hours spent gently supporting him with my hand...
If it's any consolation at all, now (14mo!) he doesn't notice at all if I tuck his sleeping head inside the woven wrap.

I switched to a buckle carrier at about 18wo, and the height of that meant head lolling was no longer an issue. I don't know if/when we would have sorted it out otherwise. I started wrapping again at about 9mo and by then he was fine with it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now