This topic is for discussing slings and backpacks. If you want to buy or sell slings and backpacks, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Slings for idiots

(5 Posts)

Can someone please explain to me the difference in practical terms between a stretchy sling and a woven sling? I know there's loads of information out there, but I don't really understand why you'd pick one over the other. I'd like to try a sling with my baby when it's born (currently 30/40). A friend gave us a baby bjorn when we had DD, which was ok, but l'd prefer to try a sling this time. I tried to go to my local sling library, but I got the date wrong and it's only once a month.

Thank you.

nextphase Thu 09-May-13 14:26:42

Stretchy slings stretch, so are brill when young, but you can't carry baby as long, as they get to heavy.
Woven slings aren't great for tiny babies, as tend to not be quite as adjustable. But they provide more support, so are great for bigger (older) babies / toddlers.

In my experience these are the differences.

Stretchy, cheaper, loses shape after a while (is regained after washing though) this happend more as your baby gets bigger, easier to put on and carry baby. Can take the baby in and out without taking the sling off.

Woven, very strong, does not lose shape. Can carry bigger and heavier babies. More carrying positions (but I have just stuck with two faves anyway). I find this harder to put on and can't wear it when the baby isn't in it.

Www.bigmamaslings.co.uk is a helpful website and shop.

I have a Moby (stretchy) which is my favourite and I use it newborn until about 18ms, a mai tai (soft structured carrier) which is my second favourite especially in the summer and with an older baby (lightweight and cooler) and a storchweige (woven) mainly use in winter for longer walks with older babies.

I walk about 5 miles a day, everyday and have 4 children that I've carried.

My moby was half the price of my storchwiege too.

Thank you. It sounds like a stretchy sling is what I need (want).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now