This topic is for discussing slings and backpacks. If you want to buy or sell slings and backpacks, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Slings newborns and lying them down

(5 Posts)
ItsAllGoingToBeFine Fri 19-Apr-13 14:45:32

www.slingmeet.co.uk

See if there is a sling meet near you, alternatively some retailers do hire by email eg

slumber-roo.co.uk/hire

RunningBear78 Fri 19-Apr-13 14:16:59

Many thanks - makes sense! Think I'll forgo the pushchair and stick with a sling type thing (and read lots of instructions) at the start and see how things go.

Now ... just to chose the right sling confused

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Fri 19-Apr-13 12:34:14

The thing about car seats and pushchairs is baby ends up slumped in a c shape which is bad for the spine and for breathing

In a properly fitting sling (not a baby Bjorn!) the baby's hips and legs are supported. The sling is also worn tight enough that the babys spine is supported in a neutral position rather than being allowed to slump into a c shape.

ChunkyPickle Fri 19-Apr-13 12:31:30

I am not medical, but the experience of being upright in a sling is very different to being upright in a buggy because a sling (well, a mei-tai or wrap style thing rather than a ring-sling type) supports their whole body where as a buggy leaves them kind of slumped with no support other than the safety straps.

Perhaps there's a market for some kind of upright, fully wrapped and supported buggy thing for babies (I'm envisaging something like strapping your baby to one of those carts removals people use) - in fact... I think I've seen them in historical photos.

RunningBear78 Fri 19-Apr-13 12:19:27

Hi,
I'm super confused so thought I'd ask the experts. I'm due with my first in September but am trying to get my head around the vast array of things I'll need, with current confusion focusing on the slings vs pushchair debate.

I've been reading that with pushchairs they must be able to lie flat for a newborn as it is bad for them to be sitting up for long periods (damages spine/internal organ development or something). BUT advice also suggests that putting a newborn in a sling/carry thing all day is absolutely fine, and really great if you want to get on with things like shopping, house work and walks etc.

How can both be true? Surely in a sling/front carrier a baby will be effectively sitting up all the time?

I think I'd like to try a sling rather than a pushchair for a newborn, but I'm a bit concerned about this business of having them lie down all the time.

I posted this in the pushchair section first but then realised maybe sling users might know more about this?

Advice much appreciated, Thanking you muchly

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now