Note: This topic is for discussing slings and backpacks. If you want to buy or sell slings and backpacks, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic. Thanks, MNHQ.

Challenge: can anybody identify this backpack?!

(7 Posts)
Turry Wed 17-Apr-13 11:22:57

See pic on my profile...

Somebody's trying to sell it on a forum. I never buy anything baby wise without first reading a thousand reviews (or asking mumsnet, natch) but the seller says she has no idea of the make, let alone model...

Any thoughts?!

pootlebug Wed 17-Apr-13 13:33:13

I can't see your profile...

Turry Thu 18-Apr-13 14:33:33

Agh, thanks pootle! How about now...?!

MollyNollyNoo Thu 18-Apr-13 18:24:11

That looks like a Bush baby, I bought one for £10 a few years ago, very plain and simple, it was quite light though and most of the cover came off for washing. I couldn't find any information about it other than the fact that it seemed to have originally come from Australia.

I didn't get on with it personally because it was too heavy once DS was in it, I have since discovered that that was probably because the weight of DS was too far away from my body. I discovered cloth carriers with my next DS and he is still goes up on my back at 20+ months.

Hope that helps a bit?!

pootlebug Thu 18-Apr-13 21:18:45

What Molly said, basically.

The seat for the baby is quite narrow, so it won't support their hips/legs as well as a wider based carrier. And I agree that I don't get along with backpacks as they hold the baby's weight so far from you that they feel very heavy. Also many don't fit women, especially petite-ish women, very well as mainly designed for blokes.

I carried my 18kg nearly 4 year old for an hour this afternoon on my back in a soft carrier on the school run to pick up his big sister and to the shops because he was knackered. There's no way on earth I could have done that with a framed carrier

Turry Fri 19-Apr-13 05:51:02

Ooh, thank you ladies, really helpful! It's actually for DH's occasional use - I wouldn't go near the things as convinced I'd just topple over! DD's a ring sling girl most of the time - this would just be for the occasional daddy trip... Hmmm, maybe I'll go for it if I can get her to lower her price (currently asking for £40)

Find it disconcerting that she can't even tell me the make though - surely they have a label somewhere?! Odd.

Hmm, actually pootle, just re-read your post... DD's only 8 months and I've always been obsessed with froggy legs re carriers. Obviously something like this isn't going to give a froggy shape... Would it actually push her knees together/ be potentially damaging do you think...?

MollyNollyNoo Sun 21-Apr-13 19:34:07

I like a froggy leg position for them too...there is a bit more information on here (which you might have already read) about leg positioning. I always wonder how comfortable it must be to be carried in a pant style seat for any length of time.

Will you DH be using it when you are out with him? I put DS in a Rose and Rebellion when he is on his Dad's back, they come in quite 'manly' colour ways and the straps are a bit wider, it doesn't get used often but it hardly takes up any space.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now