This topic is for discussing slings and backpacks. If you want to buy or sell slings and backpacks, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

When can I put legs out in a mei tai?

(6 Posts)
monstergoose Fri 12-Apr-13 08:05:25

Just that really! My 8 wk old has started to get a bit antsy when I first put her in the mei tai and has started to try to almost stand up whilst I'm tying her in which makes it difficult to get it done up safely. She will settle in it after a few minutes but when she wakes up in the sling, usually half way round a walk, she will try to stand up again! Is it too early to put her legs out?

pootlebug Fri 12-Apr-13 17:17:05

Usually you can cinch in the body with a piece of ribbon or similar to make it narrow enough for legs out even from tiny....will that work? I usually suggest legs out from birth for most babies, with the mei tai body panel cinched down.

pootlebug Fri 12-Apr-13 17:18:49
AwkwardAnnie Fri 12-Apr-13 17:35:30

I put DS's legs out once he started trying to stand up as you describe.

monstergoose Fri 12-Apr-13 21:20:34

That's a great link, thanks, I'll give that a go. One more question, I tried her with legs out today, although without pulling the panel in, and when she was nice and tight to me it felt like her legs were very splayed ou across my body, is that ok?

pootlebug Fri 12-Apr-13 21:42:57

Yes, so long as her knees are above her bum, so that the weight sits down into her bum, and the bottom part of her legs point down (so that her legs and bum make an 'M' position) - that is a very ergonomic position for a baby. If you lift her knees gently she should automatically spread her legs out wide.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now