This topic is for discussing slings and backpacks. If you want to buy or sell slings and backpacks, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Close/Caboo for an older baby/toddler - really? Or what about these. . .

(3 Posts)
leonardofquirm Thu 28-Mar-13 19:17:18

Help!

I used a stretchy wrap for DS2 from a few weeks old and loved it, he snuggled in and slept and I was able to help my toddler with stuff.

I can still put him in it for a snuggle at nearly 1yo as he is not too wriggly - obviously not practical for any length of time though.

I also have an SSC which I love, but still want something else grin

I would like another softer/ maybe wrap type thing.

I have considered:

A woven wrap of some sort - bit nervous about learning to tie it, even though I got on fine with the stretchy.

A ring sling for the pop in and out ability - not sure about one shoulder carrying though.

Mei tei - looks nice and good for back carries too.

Caboo carrier - I like the idea as it is like a front cross carry arrangement, but allegedly strong enough up to 14.5 kg (the weight of my 3.5yo!).

Does this work ok as a front only carrier? I do like a wee fluffy head to sniff as I go smile

I like to carry DS2 in the house if he needs a nap and maybe round shops when he wants a cuddle, any time when I want my hands free to walk with catch his big brother.

shiny new buggy hasn't got a lot of use this time round blush

Sorr if this is a bit of a ramble - thanks for any input/advice. smile

pootlebug Thu 28-Mar-13 22:31:27

The Close Caboo is weight tested to 14.5kg. But not comfy to anywhere near that imho. It is made of similar stuff to stretchy wraps, and has a stretchy wrap lifespan also.

Woven wraps seem a bit daunting but if you loved your stretchy I'd say a woven is a great way to go. You don't get that snuggliness in quite the same way with anything else. Are you near a sling library or sling meet where you could go and get some practical help, and try one? I'd recommend learning a Front Wrap Cross Carry (FWCC) - google videos on Youtube. The only front carry you'll ever need....I can still carry my 5 year old like this although if I carry her at all it's more usually on my back these days.

Ring slings are useful but for longer carries I prefer 2-shoulder carries.

Mei tais vary hugely...some are amazing, some are truly awful. If you go down that route get something well-recommended, and ideally with padded straps. A toddler size Melkaj, for instance. Or a wrap-conversion Mei Tai like the Neobulle Evolu'bulle.

leonardofquirm Fri 29-Mar-13 10:11:44

Thanks for your comprehensive reply, think I will do some wrap research then and watch videos.

There is probably a sling library nearby and also some local sling enthusiasts who are usually keen to help. :-)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now