Note: This topic is for discussing slings and backpacks. If you want to buy or sell slings and backpacks, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic. Thanks, MNHQ.

Where do I put the baby down when using a sling/carrier?

(6 Posts)
TwitchyTail Wed 20-Mar-13 18:49:40

I'm sure this has been done before but couldn't find anything on a search...

I'm using a sling with my newborn and find it so much easier than the pram, that I'd love to ditch the pram altogether. But I can't work out what to do with the baby in cafes, restaurants, etc. Any suggestions?

Oh, and while I'm here, suggestions for good bags to carry baby stuff while using a sling/carrier would be welcome too! smile

mmmmsleep Wed 20-Mar-13 18:55:07

I just leave baby in sling at cafes etc. have a moby wrap for newborn stage as I can breast feed while chasing after toddler with it. ergo carrier for when a bit bigger as find supports my back better. backpack best for back if front carrying and walking around all day and if like me you feel the need to be like mary poppins and carry everything. or just big handbag with essentials for dcs thrown in.

PurplePidjin Wed 20-Mar-13 19:10:06

I pop my 4mo down on the chair i was sitting on - I'm bf so a big squishy chair - or hand to whoever I've met for cuddles! Although if he's in the stretchy i just pop him in and out as necessary. If he's asleep he stays put grin

MollyNollyNoo Wed 20-Mar-13 20:58:41

You can get a baby wearing bag like this one, or else I just use a cross body bag with a fairly thick strap. Fat face do good ones, my DC's are older now so I can often get away with keeping the nappys in the boot of the car and just taking a small bag out. Cath Kidston ones are good if you like the prints.

In cafes and things I used to leave my baby in the sling, anyway, after a while you sort of get the knack of being able to get them out and onto your lap.

It gets easier when they can sit in a high chair, especially if you are out on your own.

pootlebug Wed 20-Mar-13 23:08:12

Until 6 months old in cafes and restaurants I keep them in the sling most of the time. I've managed several successful nights out where each of them just slept in the sling through the whole thing whilst I sat and had dinner with friends etc. In the daytime I sit on my knee, on the seat next to me, hand to someone with me for a cuddle etc.

Once they can sit unaided, high chair and a bit of baby-led-weaning means you can keep them occupied and happy very easily.

As far as bags go, I do have an Onbag (babywearing bag) but the longer I've done this for (3rd child now) the less stuff I take, so I haven't actually used it in months. I usually just take a large-ish handbag with a nappy, small pack of wipes, minimal spare clothing if under 6 months or potty training, cash, credit card, oyster card, house keys, suncream + water in summer. I have borrowed the odd item of clothing from friends or bought something in a charity shop if caught short....but it is once in a blue moon and I'd rather that than carry a huge bag every day.

TwitchyTail Thu 21-Mar-13 15:16:32

Thanks everyone! That's really helpful. Will get practising.

MollyNollyNoo, I have a soft spot for the Cath Kidston stuff so will probably go for one of the cross body bags - thanks for the tip smile I like to travel light!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now