Note: This topic is for discussing slings and backpacks. If you want to buy or sell slings and backpacks, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic. Thanks, MNHQ.

Carrier/sling for a tiny baby

(9 Posts)
TwitchyTail Tue 19-Mar-13 19:05:46

Thanks for help everyone smile Got it sorted.

After going out and trying both the massive unwieldy tank-like pram and the sling, I can't believe more people don't use slings/carriers - so much easier! I will probably be back with more daft novice questions soon though...

The caboo is from 5lb we have one smile

binkybonk Sun 17-Mar-13 15:49:54

Boba stretchy wrap- easy to put on and feels like they are so cosy in there, lush. Wish I'd had it for number 1!

Brugmansia Sun 10-Mar-13 09:25:58

We have a kari-me wrap and have been using it over the past few weeks while ds has been under 7lbs with no problems.

TwitchyTail Tue 05-Mar-13 09:05:08

Thanks so much! StitchAteMySleep, glad you like the Manduca, that's reassuring. The site you linked is really helpful. Iggly - I had a look at the Caboo and the minimum weight is 5 pounds, yay! I might go for that. Thanks again smile

I have a Manduca too, it is brilliant (dd2 now 1 year old and still using it, just not wearing on front)

I don't know for sure about the Moby, it could be due to the elasticity of the fabric.

I had a Joy and Joe stretchy wrap that I used from birth in the froggy leg (legs tucked in) position, my dd2 was bigger though and nearly 8lb.

I have seen this one recommended on a sling site for small and premie babies.

Iggly Tue 05-Mar-13 08:46:35

A close carrier is now called a caboo. I couldn't see a min weight.

Iggly Tue 05-Mar-13 08:42:53

I used the manduca when dd was small - she got swamped in it and it didn't support her properly.

I tried the close baby carrier instead (a ring sling) - no idea what the minimum weight was but you could tighten it so she felt very secure and supported.

But she wasn't as small as yours.

TwitchyTail Tue 05-Mar-13 08:36:30

Hoping for some advice smile I bought a Manduca carrier when pregnant, planning to use it from birth. My baby came 4 weeks early weighing just under 6 pounds (average for gestation) but healthy. I tried him in the Manduca and he seemed to love it, but then noticed that the minimum weight was 7 pounds 7oz. Grr.

My next thought was to get a stretchy Moby wrap to tide us over, but when I went to buy it I noticed it had a minimum weight of 8 pounds!

Are the manufacturers just covering themselves, or is it genuinely dangerous to use a carrier/sling for babies below the minimum weight? If so, are there any safe options, or do I just have to wait a month or so for him to get to standard newborn weight? sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now