This topic is for discussing slings and backpacks. If you want to buy or sell slings and backpacks, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Sling for 12 month old

(5 Posts)
luckywinner Sat 02-Mar-13 08:01:14

I have an ergo which I love love love, but dd no longer likes facing me and I just can't get on with carrying her on my back, and she doesn't seem to like it much.

Can anyone recommend me a carrier that maybe faced forward but in my chest?

pootlebug Sat 02-Mar-13 09:18:46

Carrying a 12 month old facing forward would really hurt your back - their centre of gravity is much further from you facing out than facing in and it makes a big difference to how comfy the carry is. There aren't really any slings designed for carrying a 12 month old facing out for that reason.

Is it getting her on your back that is the problem, or carrying her there once there? I'd recommend:
- Carry her nice and high so she can see over your shoulder - with the waistband right up on your natural waist.
- Go for a walk as soon as you put her up a few times - some babies take a while to get used to being on the back but will get it in the end
- If putting her up is the problem, try it like this www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jUZMK0D2As

Have you tried a hip carry with your ergo? Or there is a carrier called the Scootababy which is a dedicated hip carrier which would work well too

luckywinner Sat 02-Mar-13 11:05:17

Good idea to get her high. Can I ask a stupid question. What do you do with your coat when you have them on your back? Do you put the sling over it? My coat is quite bulky and I get soooo sweaty with baby, coat a bag etc

pootlebug Sat 02-Mar-13 13:15:27

I carry her 95% of the time (rarely use buggy) and we walk a lot, so invested in a 'Babywearing' coat which goes over both of us when she's on my back like this www.maverickbaby.com/category/cali-calo-babywearing-jacket . But otherwise I'd just wear a fleece or big jumper or something, and put her in warmer clothes. A big coat is just too bulky and hot, I find.

Piemother Tue 05-Mar-13 23:30:36

You can get babywearing fleeces for front and back carrying from yoganatis in eBay for £26 grin I'm about to buy one to go on top of my ergo

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now