This topic is for discussing slings and backpacks. If you want to buy or sell slings and backpacks, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Baby backpack for hiking

(10 Posts)
TheFunPolice Mon 14-Jan-13 08:27:04

I'm keen to get back to traipsing up my lovely hills and starting to think about doing some short hikes. However in a few months I'd like to be hiking 'properly' again.
Can any of you lovely people offer some recommendations please? I was thinking about s Littlelife voyager/cross country or a Macpac possum. I like the fact of being able to put these on and off by myself, and also the mirror.

lljkk Mon 14-Jan-13 11:34:20

I had a MacPac, can recommend but DH didn't care for it.
Look closely at the carrier's own weight, we mostly used a Tomy Dreamrider for our big hikes (including carting a 20-month old up Ben Nevis).

TinyTear Tue 09-Apr-13 13:43:47

We have the Deuter Kid Comfort 3
it's great, have done a 13k walk with it once and if it wasn't starting to snow could have gone longer (with a 14 month old)

We thought the littlelife was ok if the baby was awake but not as good for naps, the Deuter has a removable cushion we can slot in when she naps.
also the Deuter can pop out a thingy for stabilising when putting her on and off...

But for the Deuter, the III is the best one, the 2 wasn't as good.

The Osprey Poco Premium was the other option we were going to go for but got a good price on the Deuter 3

Cyee Wed 10-Apr-13 17:36:51

We used the macpac vamoose and can recommend it. In fact we have two smile Happy hiking.

pootlebug Thu 11-Apr-13 12:37:56

I hike with a soft structured carrier or woven wrap rather than a backpack. Admittedly you can't store stuff in it the way you can a framed carrier, but if there are two of you, one carries the baby and the other carries most of the stuff.

The advantages for me are:
- most hiking backpacks are made to fit blokes...I am quite small and have never found one that fits me properly
- they tend to hold the baby further from your centre of gravity, so feel much heavier
- they are heavier in themselves, again adding to weight
- they are massive when baby isn't in them, while other carriers pack down small
- also more useful when your 'baby' is actually walking a good bit of the way....you can have a toddler/preschool carrier in a bag and just carry them once they get tired.

HappyJoyful Thu 11-Apr-13 12:40:08

How old is child ? We've borrowed a friends littlelife one and loved it and so dd 1.5yr old last summer.

EssieW Thu 11-Apr-13 12:45:08

We had a little life which was great. No problem with naps etc.

Beware of soft carriers though. I have used my ergo for hiking but child is much less protected if you fall. The other carriers seem to be designed with a crumple zone at the bottom and protects the body. I fell over on ice once with our little life - child completely fine. That would not have been the case with a soft carrier. Also they're not waterproof

Anja1Cam Thu 11-Apr-13 12:50:12

We used a Bushbaby Lite and it was great, I can recommend it and it's very adjustable - easily/quickly adjustable for height when switching between carriers too. Bushbaby also do a more serious version with sun hood, stirrups and rain cover which might suit you better.

One feature to look for - that it stands up by itself when not being carried, which makes 'loading' so much easier!

TinyTear Thu 11-Apr-13 13:23:38

Yes the Deuter stands up by itself.

It also has a fully adjustable back and it's really easy to change from my settings (1.63m) to my husband (1.80m)

HappyJoyful Thu 11-Apr-13 13:44:45

The littlelite we used had a foot/boot hole to hold it up for loading and 2 handles which I recall finding really useful for 'loading'

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now