Note: This topic is for discussing slings and backpacks. If you want to buy or sell slings and backpacks, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic. Thanks, MNHQ.

Is a mei tai just a fabric Baby Bjorn?

(3 Posts)
Clumsasaurus Wed 24-Oct-12 10:18:18

Just that really. I have a BB but DS isn't mac for it as he roots the whole time but I want something he can sleep in at home or on quick walks as he loves to be held. His favourite place is on my shoulder me pirate, him parrot but a sling won't hold him here...

Any advice/suggestions? He's 14lb, 10 weeks and growing fast! A ring sling is not really an option as he's super long...

needsadviceplease Wed 24-Oct-12 13:39:49

A mei tai supports them properly across the bottom (knee-pit to knee-pit) and properly all up the spine and neck, whereas a BB doesn't fit them snug enough to properly support - more just keep them from dropping iyswim. Mei tais can be totally fabric or all buckley-bjornish-looking (SSCs - eg Ergo, Manduca, Beco). I have a manduca and can easily bf DS in it so rooting not a problem!

I wonder if your DS would sleep in a mei tai or SSC in spite of tantalising boob proximity because he'd be more comfy. But that's just a hunch. I'm not a wrap user (only stretchy wrap when he was small) but I bet you could somehow wrap him nearer your shoulder if that did turn out to be crucial! Sling meet, sling meet, sling meet. Good luck!

Clumsasaurus Wed 24-Oct-12 14:04:13

Thanks so much,I struggling to find a sling meet anywhere near me sad

Thank you so much for the I for re mei tai, I fell this is the best option on looks and where DS likes to be (snuggled to mummy grin) but did wonder how supported henwasin the BB so great to know a mei tai is better for his physiologically. I'll research the manduca as feeding him in it would be a huge bonus if he starts rooting somewhere in appropriate... Like the high st today in the BB!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now