Note: This topic is for discussing slings and backpacks. If you want to buy or sell slings and backpacks, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic. Thanks, MNHQ.

Best sling/carrier that is not just a piece of fabric

(10 Posts)
Nicknamenotavailableeither Tue 23-Oct-12 13:55:22

As the title says really. We bought a wrap at a NNS a few weeks back but it is one of the pieces of fabric style ones, i.e. literally just a few metres of lyrca style thing.

Anyway - neither me nor dh got on very well with it, so we are looking for recommendations for which one to buy.

I would prefer one that is more structured than the single bit of fabric, but definately not a super structured carrier. I thought maybe a ring sling?? But I really don't know enough about them. Any ideas (with links if possible please) to what I should be buying please?

Thank you!

LemonBreeland Tue 23-Oct-12 13:57:46

The ergo is very good, but I don't know if that is too structured for you.

Otherwise you could try a mei tai. I have a babyhawk one that is great. Very easy to put on and cna be used from very young. If you look at youtube you will see videos.

I'm selling mine atm as my DD is old enough to walk everywhere now.

girlgonemild Tue 23-Oct-12 14:08:39

You want a Close sling I think. It's exactly like a wrap/long piece of fabric but all stitched together securely and just slips on over your head. This is it

They have a newer version called a Caboo which I haven't tried but might also suit.

PebblePots Tue 23-Oct-12 14:45:00

Try the slingtastic web site, very good.

PebblePots Tue 23-Oct-12 14:47:04

I have a soft structured carrier - a Beko Gemini, no messing with yards of fabric, lovely sling & good on your back too!

Nicknamenotavailableeither Tue 23-Oct-12 15:08:45

Thank you for the replies! I will definitely take a look at your suggestions smile

Nicknamenotavailableeither Tue 23-Oct-12 15:17:10

I've just had a look at them, they look great. The slingtastic website is fab too. I like the look of the close sling. Decisions decisions...

Indith Tue 23-Oct-12 15:24:58

Close will be nice with a little baby but because it is stretchy you might find it not so good as he gets bigger. A full buckle carrier (contecta, beko, boba) will last you longer. That said though most slings sell well at close to full retail value so you can always trade in when you want something different.

IamDollie Wed 19-Dec-12 09:23:49

Mai Tai's are good, fairly sturdy but are pretty lightweight as well, definitely feel a lot more supportive than wrap slings or ring slings. I've never been a fan of the really structures ones, just too much weight to be carrying.

Indifference Wed 19-Dec-12 21:36:51

Can you get yourself to a sling library to try on a few different types? Its way better for your bank account than buying loads and find you don't like them! ukslinglibraries.wordpress.com/

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now