This topic is for discussing slings and backpacks. If you want to buy or sell slings and backpacks, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

I can only afford one sling - Connecta or Manduca?

(33 Posts)
oohlaalaa Tue 16-Oct-12 10:17:16

We will have a pushchair and a sling.

Money's tight and I'd ideally like to purchase one sling only. I'm not bothered about using it immediately, so it'll be from three months, to up to three years.

From internet research I was thinking either a Manduca or a Connecta? The Manduca is more structured, and I think would suit an older child better? They both have good reviews, and provide for correct leg position, back support and head support. Compared to some, they appear to be quite easy to use? I don't want anything too complicated. Which one though?

The sling needs to be manly looking, so that my husband will use it.

I plan to use pushchair most of the time, but would like the option of a sling, particularly for country walks and quick trips to the shops.

Any help gratefully received.

jaggythistle Tue 16-Oct-12 12:29:55

i got mine on amazon, prices as good as any on there when i looked.

Foshizzle Tue 16-Oct-12 12:35:45

Had both a Manduca and a Connecta. Both very comfortable but the Manduca edged it I think, especially in the colder weather. DH had no problem wearing the Manduca, very similar to an Ergo and DC felt very supported in it. Almost made my money back on it two years later.

Did find the Manduca a bit warm for summer but had a Solarweave Connecta for hot days and holidays.

oohlaalaa Tue 16-Oct-12 12:52:22

Thanks everyone. I'll compare prices on Kiddicare and Amazon at the time of buying.

moojie Fri 02-Nov-12 20:23:16

I know I'm a bit late in replying but I have a manduca and I really love it. I have a 6mo ds and a 3yr old ds and both have been in the sling and seemed comfy. There is a lot of adjusting so you can get it to be comfy. Sometimes I've put it on and it's just not felt right, pulled at the shoulders etc but a bit if adjusting and I can wear it for hours. Ds2 loves the hip position although it does pull on my neck slightly so can't do much more than an hour.

Ds1 is a back carry boy despite never having been in a carrier until 2 months ago. I have a double buggy but now use the single and a sling as either child can go in either!

The reason I chose the manduca was because of the hip carry and being able to cross over the straps something that a lot of the other carriers don't do. I cross over the straps if I'm carrying ds2 in the front carry for a while as its much more comfortable.

Hope this helps.

oohlaalaa Mon 10-Dec-12 10:37:43

Thanks Moojie.

Definitely buying a Manduca. I've also bought a second hand Hug-a-Bub sling on Ebay, it was £20 with postage, and thought I could wear it around home/ in the garden. I thought it'd be better with newborn.

The Manduca will be DH's sling, as he won't be seen in anything hippyish. I've been watching the Manduca's on Ebay, but second hand they sell for about £65, and can be bought for £84 with free delivery on amazon. I'd rather buy new, and sell on again, with the small price difference.

pookey Tue 11-Dec-12 15:07:58

Oohlaalaa hope you get on well with the Manduca - found this thread as looking for something for my 2 year old Manduca sounds good that you can do hip and back carries def going to look into it too..

Hope you don't mind a hijak (sp?) blush but if anyone sees this thread and is also interested in a hugabub I have one on London gumtree. sorry for intruding! {scurries off...}

pookey Tue 11-Dec-12 15:23:46

To actually add something to the conversation I had a connecta and loved it for no 2 but once she was walking she wouldn't go in it any more. Used it on a fair bit on my front for no 3 esp useful in airport situation but just sold it as didn't eveb occur to me to try and get her on my back in it duh! I think hip carry is what will work with dc3 and dont believe you can do that with baby connecta.

oohlaalaa Fri 25-Jan-13 17:36:03

Hello

Just an update. I've been watching Manduca's on Ebay, but they were trading at almost new price. I saw one on Amazon for £79.50, which is the lowest I've seen, and decided to take the plunge.

So now have my two carriers, Hugh a Bub and Manduca. I've spent about £100, which is more than I'd have liked too, on our tiny budget, but I think these two carriers will have us covered for years to come.

www.amazon.co.uk/Manduca-Baby-Carrier-BlackLine-RadicalRed/dp/B005O7Q8OQ/ref=sr_1_8?s=baby&ie=UTF8&qid=1359135005&sr=1-8

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now