This topic is for discussing slings and backpacks. If you want to buy or sell slings and backpacks, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Slings that carry weight on hips. Ergo, any others?

(13 Posts)
toomuchtooyoung Mon 24-Sep-12 06:11:01

I've lots of slings, ring, wrap, wilkinet, bushbaby cocoon, mai tei but none are working for me with 8 week old ds.

When carrying my dd found most comfy back carrier was a bushbaby which carried weight on hips.

Ergo looks like it might fit the bill for front carrying, any others?

I ADORE my Ergo. My daughter hates her sling - we tried a Snugli, which she like but which killed my shoulders. The Ergo I have worn on a two hour hike - no back or shoulder pain whatsoever, and she napped almost the whole way. Highly recommend.

needsadviceplease Mon 24-Sep-12 06:24:33

Manduca (my preference), boba 3g, patapum, connecta, beco.

soapnuts Mon 24-Sep-12 06:31:45

another vote for the ergo - thought I'd say any that do the same thing will do the job (I believe Manduca and boba are pretty much the same design but haven't tried so can't say for sure) - had a bjorn for about 10 mins and hated it (luckily bought second hand!) - tried a friend's ergo and never looked back. I can still (well when not 6 months pregnant!) carry my 3 year old on my back quite comfortably for a few hours - I've got the baby insert for my new baby and I won't be bothering with any of the others that I tried with DS1 (actually except the wrap sling which also puts weight on hips - I loved that when DS was tiny and snugly but even by 8 weeks I'd say the ergo would be more comfortable)

Iggly Mon 24-Sep-12 06:40:05

Manduca. It's similar to an ergo but you don't need a seperate newborn insert. It's ace!

toomuchtooyoung Mon 24-Sep-12 09:00:19

Thanks all.
Manduca and Ergo looking the best options. Boba and Beco look like they rest more on the waist. Looking specifically for those that take weight on hips, like a proper hiking back carrier one. Would use my bushbaby in the future but a bit excessive for nipping down the shops and around the house with dd!

BertieBotts Mon 24-Sep-12 09:07:06

The boba and the beco should rest on the hips if they're adjusted correctly. As should a wrap and a mei tai - are you finding they're not or just not getting on with them in other ways?

orchidee Mon 24-Sep-12 09:12:34

Beco butterfly user here- if you look at their own videos on YouTube you'll see it should rest on the hips. Ergo is usually worn higher, above hips iirc.

As an aside, have you tried a slingmeet orhad your carries checked? Ds was 91 entitle for weight at your stage and I could carry comfortably in a sling, even over 1 yo and I've had joint surgeries.

orchidee Mon 24-Sep-12 09:17:39

Typos! I'm referring to carrying comfortably a ring sling, if you're having issues could it be the fabric? At 8wo either the ring sling or mei-tai should cope if the fabric is up to the job and the sling is adjusted properly.

toomuchtooyoung Mon 24-Sep-12 09:45:26

Wrap is the best at the moment but that and other tie-ons are a pita. But the wrap is also proving a bit restrictive when trying to play with dd. Ring sling not good for hands and knees playing or crawling around. Ds is one of those who doesn't want to be put down.

Can't get to a slingmeet at the moment unfortunately

orchidee Mon 24-Sep-12 09:53:16

Tricky one. It does sound like a ssc is your best bet. If you can't get to a slingmeet, their own web forum/fb groups or the natural mamas forum may be useful. Natural mamas have a section for ssc carriers and you may get some other ideas of brands to try. Also slumber-roo are v helpful and will hire before you buy. They'll answer questions through their website or their fb page.

Iggly Mon 24-Sep-12 10:00:17

DD was similar - didnt want to be put down. But by 3-4 months I could put her down a bit and by 4-5 months she magically started napping in her cot (after feeding to sleep) or in the pushchair. Which was a shock after her brother who just liked to be carried. All The Time.

VintageNancy Mon 24-Sep-12 10:10:26

I love my beco Gemini for my 95th centile 5 month old DD.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now