This topic is for discussing slings and backpacks. If you want to buy or sell slings and backpacks, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

sling after c-section?

(7 Posts)
bytheseaside Mon 03-Sep-12 10:33:03

Thanks - it really helps to hear your experiences. We will prob get something ready, but I won't be too disappointed if its just DP that uses it for a bit.

AmandinePoulain Sun 02-Sep-12 16:19:58

I had a cs 3 weeks ago and was carrying dd2 in a stretchy wrap (that I got off eBay for around £15, it's a cybex UGo one) comfortably within a week. My only problem with it is that she gets very hot in there!

TheFowlAndThePussycat Sun 02-Sep-12 08:16:23

Just a quick warning - I never did comfortably manage a wrap sling - I bought or tried several. I haven't been as lucky as wigglebum I'm afraid & my core muscles are shot to pieces. Get that pushchair ordered ASAP! grin

bytheseaside Fri 31-Aug-12 14:16:32

Thanks for the advice. A soft stretchy wrap certainly appeals in theory - will see if I can pick one up / try out. I'll maybe ask about physio at my hospital in advance too - thanks for the tip!

Wrigglebum Fri 31-Aug-12 07:39:13

I was using a sling for short periods from about 3 weeks after my ELCS doing gradually longer periods with it. By 7 or 8 weeks I managed to walk a mile each way to playgroup with ds2 in the sling and carrying a scooter for ds1 to use (had damaged my wrist so couldn't drive or use pushchair).

I used a close sling and a stretchy wrap and both were comfortable around my scar. The close sling isn't quite as comfy on your back as a wrap but they are easier to use and men seem to prefer them. Or you could go for a cheaper/second hand wrap initially and also something a bit more structured for your dp to use and for you for later. We have a connecta solarweave and a Manduca and DH will use both happily and I tend to use those now instead of the wrap too. Both are from about 7.5lbs so depending on your baby's size that could be from birth.

One thing that helped me a lot was to do the stomach exercises recommended by the hospital physio. In case you don't get the advise- pelvic floor squeezes (fast and slow and hold ones) immediately. After five days stomach exercises- bring stomach in as you breathe out (imagine you are tightening a belt around your middle) and then hold it in and breathe normally as long as you can manage. I really think that helped my get my core strength back quickly (and I have none of that CS overhang I've heard about smile).

pootlebug Thu 30-Aug-12 13:39:54

Yes, you can go to a sling meet without a baby yet!

Not had a C-section but am a sling consultant. I would go for something very soft that you can tie - a stretchy wrap for instance - so that you can tie it well away from your scar. If you are up and about, and lifting your baby, you can start to use your sling - it should actually be easier on your body than carrying him in arms as they sit so close to your centre of gravity in a sling.

bytheseaside Thu 30-Aug-12 12:47:56

Obviously not straight away, and I know everyone heals at different rate, but It would be great to hear your experiences of how soon and what types worked best for you! I like the idea of a soft one for round the house, and for DP to use when we're out and about. I know we may end up getting one our baby doesn't like but I still want to get something before baby arrives as we've been a bit late ordering a pram shock can you go to a sling meet when you haven't got a baby yet??

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now