Note: This topic is for discussing slings and backpacks. If you want to buy or sell slings and backpacks, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic. Thanks, MNHQ.

SSC?

(10 Posts)
EricNorthmanIsMyMaker Fri 28-Jun-13 20:46:04

Another Manduca lover here

takeaway2 Fri 21-Jun-13 22:10:08

I loved my connecta. Love love love!

BananaramaLlama Fri 21-Jun-13 21:58:38

Agree with pootlebug, I'd stick to the stretchy wrap at first and then see what you both like when your lo is 5-6 months - gives you lots of options. I'm liking the new beco soleil for around 6 months up, but there's loads of choice!

pootlebug Mon 17-Jun-13 19:09:47

If you like your Sleepywrap I'd use that from newborn, and then look for an SSC when your baby is around 6 months. Some SSCs are suitable from newborn, some say they are but don't work all that well, and some aren't suitable from that small. If you wait til 6 months you'll have a wider choice, won't have to fuss about what works best (or at all) from newborn, and will be able to see what fits you and your baby best at that stage and will then last until 2-ish easily for most brands.

Nikleiv Sun 16-Jun-13 19:07:55

I love my bondolino and use it in preference to my sling now. It's easy to use, super comfy and supportive and my 6 month old loves it, she's happy in it whether she's awake or asleep.

Heartbeep Tue 24-Jul-12 21:03:30

Thanks everyone there's too much choice!

There's a sling group meets not far from me so I'm going to see what they've got & go see them when im on mat leave.

I like the look of the Manduca & the connecta. I do have a bit of a weak lower back so I'd really like something that I'm going to get use out of.

I found the sleepy wrap really comfortable so I'll definitely be using that again from newborn.

pootlebug Tue 24-Jul-12 13:56:43

My favourite SSC from newborn is the Manduca. Not so keen on the Ergo as the insert bit that you need to use it from newborn can be very hot. Not so keen on the Boba as whilst it is great with a bigger kid I just don't think it fits a newborn very well at all.

Bondolino are also very good imo.

If you fancied something a bit less bulky and structured have a look at the Connecta.

Hey, another Bondolino user! grin I bought one from a slingmeet sale and never looked back. Unfortunately, it spelled the end of wrapping for us, because it's so easy to use (for instance, in a car park, where I don't want three yards of fabric either side of me). DS2 was on my front in it for ages but now goes on my back, and it's so comfortable. I like the velcro waist strap too.

I think if you're worried about a back carrier digging into your shoulders, something with very padded straps like a Bondolino (Hoppediz make them) would be good, but other mei tai type carriers also have good padded straps. There's one called something like a Yuma (?) that I tried from slingmeet that had good shoulder straps, though it was a buckle carrier which I find digs into my spare tyre. I'm currently dithering about getting a wrap converted to a mei tai carrier though, which is another option, and you could have it made pretty much to your own specs. smile

KatAndKit Sat 21-Jul-12 12:50:08

I have a Bondolino and I really love it. DS is only 3 months so still using it for front carry only but it does back carry too for bigger babies. It is suitable for toddlers too.
I was deciding between Bondolino/Ergo/Manduca. I decided against the Ergo because of the infant insert which seemed hot and difficult to use. I picked the Bondolino over the Manduca because the Bondolino has no buckles and is easier to put on. It has nice thick shoulder straps so is very comfy to wear. It has a nice sleep hood and a handy dummy pocket. The instructional video is on youtube if you want to get an idea, and there are also some manduca videos so you can compare and get an idea of what you would prefer.

Heartbeep Tue 17-Jul-12 06:38:48

Hi DC2 due start of October, I've got a Sleepywrap which I plan to use in the early days, I really liked it with DD but she was a big baby and I felt there was too much bounce in it when she hit around 7 months, she started pulling her arms out & pushing the wrap down, so it didn't feel safe.

I like the idea of a mei tai but I'm just not sure it'll be comfortable on my back, there always looks like a lot of pull of the shoulders, and therefore back.

So that brings me to SSCs. I had a baby bjorn which I didn't like at all, so bad for my back (don't have it anymore anyway) and I've subsequently read all the negative aspects about FF.

I've been looking at the ergo but it looks so big. Was also looking at the or boba but not sure if it's too unstructured.
I'm planning on going to a sling meet once I'm on mat leave but just wondered what recommendations anyone has to look at, so I can narrow it down a bit there's too many choices!

TIA

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now