Is sweetner ok in baking for kids?

(6 Posts)
HughLauriesStubble Wed 05-Oct-16 12:43:19

I love baking with the kids but have been avoiding it since following sw as I'm not sure if sweetner is suitable for small children? I've bought some granulated Cologran but can't find much info about it. Does anyone know if it's ok?

WowOoo Wed 05-Oct-16 13:00:49

I wouldn't put any artificial sweetener in anything, especially not food for small children.

Could you do two batches - one for you and one just for the kids? A bit of a pain, but it is fun for them.

LifeIsGoodish Wed 05-Oct-16 13:06:43

Sugar on baking does more than just sweeten, it also affects texture and keeping quality. (Plus, as WooOoo says, I wouldn't put it in anything, especially not for children.) Have you tried baking with it yet?

HughLauriesStubble Wed 05-Oct-16 13:51:14

Haven't tried baking with it yet (I haven't used it at all actually). I am dubious about it myself! But there are so many sw baking recipes out there that are supposedly delicious so I'm keen to try!

I could do 2 separate batches but I'd be tempted to eat some of the kids ones too! I muse try and calculate the syn value of real sugar to see how much of a difference it would make syn-wise.

ChocolateButton15 Wed 05-Oct-16 13:54:58

I haven't personally tried it but a lot of the slimming world recipes I have seen on blogs and instagram use "sukrin gold" and they claim it to be healthy and natural. Might be worth a look.

LifeIsGoodish Wed 05-Oct-16 15:56:28

What about sugar and stevia 1:1

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now